Electromagnetic parking sensors

Just picked a new car for the wife and I'm planning on fitting reversing sensors. I'm looking at fitting electromagnetic parking sensors to avoid drilling holes in her pristine rear bumper.

Any big disadvantages to this type of sensor over the ultrasonic ones?

I was looking at something like this:-

Paul Giverin

I fitted this type on the lexus, fairly easy to fit, sticky tape that you cut to length that has the antenna built in, two wires, getting the bumper off is the hard part. But fiddly to get them set to give reliable indication of distance. They go off when backing up slopes unless you turn the sensitivity right down. If you stop while reversing (with it bleeping) they reset to silent and you may think you have more distance than you have. Overall a good idea but implementation is nowhere near perfect, I would not recommend them other than for the lack of holes. If you can, then a camera is a far better bet. The basic disadvantage appears to me to be that this type rely upon changing distance rather than a reflection from an object. I originally picked them for the no holes bit coupled with a claim for showing closer distances.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

A camera might be better for some things - but doesn't warn of an obstacle if you're not looking at the screen.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Mine tends to mist up in wet weather too.

Reply to
Paul J

Back window's not much cop if you don't look through it, either...

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

How about the type that mount as a number plate surround?

Reply to
SteveH

No shit!

Reply to
The Revd

Not seen that. Will check it out, thanks.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Thanks for that Mr C. It has given me something to think about.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Revd post - no shit - hold front page!

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

He's one of the few I've got killfiled so thanks for re posting. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you think it too difficult a job to fit ordinary reversing sensors neatly - just how much work would be needed to do the same with a camera and display?

Most modern cars will already have positions for reversing sensors as they'll be fitted to some variants. So all you'd need to do is cut some holes in the plastic bumper cover. Something like a Q-Max cutter makes this easy.

I love toys on the car - and have retro fitted rear parking sensors to my SD1. But have never felt the need for a camera. There's no way one would give the same 'view' that sensors can manage.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Whassup Daisy Bell, you stupid asshole?

Reply to