Hat that won't blow off

I usually use my Miata just for around town, but even here (it's a big town!) I find myself doing 75 MPH and I'm constantly having to push my hat down as the wind tries to sweep it away.
I currently use one of those flat, nearly-brimless knit driving caps. I have tried a tight-fitting baseball cap, which hurts my head it's so tight and the wind catches the bill anyway. I have even tried a very wintery-looking knit cap my wife made, like the ones I wore sledding as a kid in Buffalo. Besides looking rather stupid, the darn wind STILL managed to snatch it away.
Anyway, I'm planning a long trip this summer which will involve a lot of 80 MPH highway driving. Anybody have a suggestion for headgear that:
A - does not look colossally stupid
and
B - absolutely will not blow off
Thanks!
Reply to
Lobster Picnic

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 10:07:51 -0500, Lobster Picnic a big town!) I find myself doing 75 MPH and I'm constantly
I use a khaki colored military "boonie" hat. It has a 360 degree brim that keeps the sun off my ears and neck and a chin strap. The useless strap around the crown can be removed with a seam ripper.
How well it meets condition A is up to you, but it meets condition B nicely.
Reply to
Natman

I still haven't found a hat that fits both of those and I've had Belle for 12 years. And a *lot* of hats.
The one thing that I found that does help is a piece of cord with alligator clips on both ends - one end attaches to the hat, the other to your shirt. That way if the hat does fly off, at least it's still in your car and not on the road.
Let me know if you find something!
Iva & Belle.) '90B Classic Red.) #3 winkin' Miata
Reply to
Iva

In article , Lobster Picnic a lot of 80 MPH highway driving. Anybody have a suggestion for
ANY hat can blow off, if you're careless; leash straps can work if you're not going too fast. I've had excellent results with a Patagonia Spoonbill, a close-fitting nylon ballcap with an extra-long bill. It extends quite far down the back of my head, and has an elastic adjustment strap, so it stays put without being uncomfortably tight. I bought it at REI.
Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Not true, this baby has never come off at any speed since I finished knitting it about 5 years ago.
Pat
Reply to
pws

In article ,
Oh Pat, I'll bet you look simply precious in that.
I'm not real big on either fashion or stereotypes, but if you ever see me in such a thing, please just put me out of my misery. I won't mind, since my brain will already have joined the bleedin' choir invisible.
Reply to
Lanny Chambers

While just about any hat protects your scalp, it is also important to protect your ears, neck and face. I use a Tilley hat that has both a chin strap and a strap that goes behind your head to keep it from blowing forward. They also have a thin layer of foam in the crown that is there for both flotation and insulation. They even are guaranteed against loss, as long as you are using your chinstrap.
Reply to
Dana Rohleder

"Dana Rohleder" wrote in news:x3YSh.395$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe02.lga:
Thanks - the Tilley hats look really nice. This might do the trick. I assume the back brim is forgiving enough that you can use the headrest with no problems.
Thanks also to the others who offered suggestions. The Boonie hats look like a good, cheap solution.
As for the knitted devil horns....let's just say it's a blatant violation of rule A.
'90B Silverstone
Reply to
Lobster Picnic

Such stereotyping. Needlecraft can be very relaxing, and it produces useful products like the devil hat. It can also help to be naughty while needling.
Can you immediately tell if something is traditional needlepoint, counted cross-stitch or petit point? I didn't think so, who is the big man now? ;-)
Pat
Reply to
pws

I suppose you won't like mine either. Matching black pudding-basin helmet, with goggles.
miker
Reply to
miker

A late candidate: I think that my Sugoi runner's cap is as close to blow-off-proof as anything I've seen. And it has no chin strap to worry about, blocks solar radiation (an important thing for the follicularly-challenged), and it soaks up sweat like nobody's business if you are cruising on a super-hot day.
Reply to
John McGaw
online at
They look great and are designed to wear under a helmet and a lot of people can wear them without a helmet. Check out our website. We will be set up at the 75th in Sturgis this year!! A lot of gals wear our hats for all types of outdoor activities. I think you will love our hats!!
Reply to
85mph Hats
You would love the 85 mph Hat!! One of the few hats on the market that really work!! Check out our website at
Reply to
Chandra