Pads

How long do pads and shoes last? I understand that there is no defined answer but you must be able to give me a rough idea

My car is a 1.2 16v Clio (2002) and has 19.5k on the clock this is town miles mainly. At the first service (18k) I asked for the brakes to be checked and on the service sheet the mechanic put that they were 20% worn and so 80% ok I expected the pads to be more worn than this at 18k Also there was no mention of the rear shoes i understand that most of the braking is done through the frount wheels because of the weight of the car being thrown forward under breaking

Many Thanks any advise appreciated. Richard Jones

Reply to
Richard Jones

Sounds quite reasonable - may dad's car had the pads changed for the first time last year at 60,000 miles (mainly local trips), and they would have been OK for another few thousand miles. The shoes are still the original set, and are well clear of the limits. The Clio isn't a powerful or heavy car, and if driven gently the pads will last a long time - also modern asbestos-free pads tend to be quite hard, so although the pads last longer, disks need changing more frequently - typically every second set of pads.

Reply to
Bob Davis

You drive like a girl.

Reply to
SteveH

Well, it is a girls car ;o) Actually that does sound a bit too good to be true, only 20% worn after 18K miles for town driving. I'd expect nearer 50%. I've only ever owned one car that needed pads replacing, and that was at 27K (I'd owned it from 9.5K onwards. Cars since then I've owned from new and never had new pads before I sold them at around 33K. My current car has 25K on it (owned since 19K) and I think it's got the original pads on - around 40% at a guess is left.

Reply to
Johnny

Maybe the mechanic meant that 20% of the material was worn - given a new pad thickness of maybe 10mm, and a service limit of 3mm, that could be reasonable. Or maybe the mechanic just estimated wrongly. Or maybe the OP really does drive like a girl!

Reply to
Bob Davis

My dad's Corolla used about 30% of the front pads in 60000 miles

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Thanks Guys, probebly the mechanic was drunk. as it seems that that 20% wear is low. Who knows :) its a stupid french car afterall! Thanks Richard

Reply to
Richard Jones