Escort MPG

Hi,

I seem to be getting poor fuel economy in my Escort ('96 1.6 Zetec). Last time I calculated it, I was getting about 27mpg. I do 25 miles a day, of which 20 is motorway, 3 is rural and 2 is urban.

At the MOT all the emissions were spot on, but I have noticed that when I come off the motorway the engine idles at about 1500 rpm for 30 seconds or so before dropping down to normal.

Is the economy I'm seeing acceptable? If not, any suggestions what could be wrong (apart from having a crap car!!)?

Thanks in advance,

Iain

Reply to
Iain McLaren

MAF, coolant temperature sensor or O2 sensor.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Thanks - would getting those tested require a trip to a garage with some test equipment?

Any idea what sort of mpg I should be expecting (assuming sensible driving)?

Cheers,

Iain

Reply to
Iain McLaren

Most probably. They're cheap enough to try swapping with parts from a scrap yard, but if they're not causing the ECU to log fault codes (you wouldn't know until it's plugged in as Escort's have no malfunction lamp) then it's a case of swap and hope for the best. Most garages would rather do that than spend the time measuring the various outputs from each sensor.

The 1.6 isn't particularly economical for its size, but high 30s mpg isn't unobtainable if driven nicely.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

That's normal.

I used to get 36mpg from mine driven sanely under the conditions you give, so your economy is low.

How are you checking the figures? You need to fill it, stopping on the first click, and reset the trip. When the tank is nearly empty, fill it from the same pump. Calculate your consumption from that, don't use the petrol gauge.

Sandy Nuts suggestions are the first things to try, although you don't mention what servicing it has had. If it's really been neglected, the air filter could be choked, the plugs could be misfiring slightly, one or more brakes could be sticking on, even under-inflated tyres will have an effect.

Unless you are sure of its condition, it might be worth servicing it.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Hi,

Yeah, it has been a bit neglected. It gets what it needs, but that's about all. The air filter was OK last time I checked. It could probably do with some new plugs though...they've definately not been changed for a while. The brakes do need freeing up fairly regularly too...it doesn't feel like they're binding, however (ie it seems to coast OK).

Cheers,

Iain

I checked the figures a while ago, using the method you described.

Reply to
Iain McLaren

It's highly recommended that you use Motorcraft plugs gapped to 1mm (not

1.3), and that the HT leads are replaced with genuine Ford ones at the same time. Expensive, I know, but well worth it IMHO.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

"Iain McLaren" wrote in message news:46436b5d$0$21833$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk...

When I use mine, its for relatively short trips. Being light-footed (genuinely takes effort if it's the first time you've attempted not having a lead foot) and I now regularly get about 43.6 mpg apparently.

It's about 41 litres of fuel (the light must be coming on early, it's a 55 litre tank) for about 380/390 miles or so, which I think is pretty good going when you consider it's half motorway trips and half pissing about in the city, which I hate doing, not a fan of traffic lights. A good reason why I mow down pedestrians when they're red...

Reply to
graydoe

That's the sort of levels I get in city driving with my scrote 1.8 diesel.

Normally on a Motorway run I can do 450+ before the light comes on at about 44litres gone

Reply to
Paul Cummins

The Top Gear with Clarkson driving to Edinburgh from London and back in an Audi describes it well, except I obviously use the A/C and heater/radio/ipod-player whenever I feel like it. It's just a case of being more aware, which definitely makes for a safer driver I feel. Idiots would argue you're too busy watching the speedo, but I don't. I just hover at 60 on the motorway, and enjoy the slower, more relaxed speed.

Now and again it's always good to give the engine some enjoyment, but cruising about is fine for a car. I really do think that if more people drove light-footed we'd have less angry drivers on the road. It's relaxing to go at a constant speed in the far left lane.

Reply to
graydoe

Any faults with the above and it would have failed the emissions test. Thats not to say that it was fine, but now isnt though...

The 1.6 should manage 35mpg under those conditions though...

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

"Iain McLaren" wrote in message news:46433760$0$10733$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk...

I'd be more inclined to check for soft tyres, binding brakes etc first.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Hi again, and thanks to everyone who replied.

I changed the plugs and airfilter at the weekend (plugs were shot, filter was a bit grubby-looking), so I'll see if that helps.

I noticed this morning that the temperature gauge only rose past 1/4-hot when I got stuck in traffic (a fairly rare occurence) so maybe the thermostat is sticking a bit. I had a Cavalier SRi a few years ago, and changing the one on that just about doubled my fuel economy.

This issue with the revs staying high seems to have got worse as well - it took a good 2 or 3 minutus to fall from 1,500rpm to ~500rpm today. It never used to do that (the car's been in family from new). The garage said the throttle position sensor might be sticking when I mentioned it to them a while ago. Can they be cleaned/freed, or is a replacement one in order?

Cheers,

Iain

Reply to
Iain McLaren

The needle should be dead in the center of NORMAL or just to the left when fully warmed up and should be able to maintain this moving or not.

I would definately change the thermostat before going any further..

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

Might be worth pointing out that it's located to the right of the cylinder head, in a black box that's bolted on to the side of the head with various radiator hoses and a temperature sensor poking out the top.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Thanks guys - I'll try and get round to it at the weekend :-)

Do I need to get any other 'bits' - eg seals, 'o' rings etc?

Cheers,

Iain

Reply to
Iain McLaren

Yes, - usually the thermostat comes bare- no o-ring included, and invariably the old one is too crusty / breaks.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

I've ordered one this morning - £9.99 including the o-ring.

I took a closer look at the temp gauge this morning (got a clear run down the motorway today). It rose fairly quickly, but stopped just before the 'N' of 'Normal'. Looks like it's knackered...

Cheers,

Iain

Reply to
Iain McLaren

"Iain McLaren" wrote in message news:464964d9$0$21844$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk...

Sounds below optimum. Modern engines really need to run at design temperature to work properly/ give good fuel economy. 10 years ago, that was around about 95-100deg C. I notice today that BMW's latest twin turbo 3l six is specified to run at 106deg C.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

"Iain McLaren" wrote in message news:464964d9$0$21844$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk...

Hi,

Just to report back...changing the thermostat seems to have fixed the problem. I've not done a proper mpg calculation, but going by the gauge I've used about half the petrol that I would have normally used over the last week :-)

Thanks again,

Iain

Reply to
Iain McLaren