very poor fuel consumption on my m reg 1.8 i ford escort

I have a M reg ford escort 1.8 i & the fuel consumption is getting worse & worse I am getting less than 200 miles from a full tank, the car is running well, but sometimes in traffic the car idles a bit high for a few seconds. it has just passed its mot so the emissions must be ok.

Reply to
higgsy

Something is seriously wrong there, I would stop driving it and get it into a garage

Reply to
Me

On a 1.8, either the maf sensor is spannered or the thermostat is.- what temperature is it getting to after a run? (guage should be showing about

12noon)

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Or a leak. DaveK.

Reply to
DaveK

changed the thermostat the other month as the car was running cold all the time. the gauge is showing halfway up norm.

whats the maf sensor ? is it easy to change? & how do i know if its knackered.? where abouts on the engine is it ?

Reply to
higgsy