Escort squealing noise

Bit of a strange one with my ageing 1996 Ford Escort

I get a high pitch squealing noise from somewhere at the back of the engine bay. It only happens after 15 mins of driving or so. I can't see where its coming out but its definitely not fan belt/water pump/alternator etc related. Its at a higher pitch when idling as opposed to under load.

Any ideas before I take it to the garage? I'm guessing its somewhere in the exhaust system, particularly as the engine bay seemed a little warmer than usual.

Car performs fine otherwise.

Thanks in advance Mark

Reply to
Markg

Tried it again this morning and its the same.

Its not really a squeal, more of a high pitched noise

Any ideas? A search on google suggested the o-ring on the exhaust - does that sound possible?

Reply to
Markg

I would check all the vacuum hoses, as a split or loose one can make squealing noises

Reply to
mrcheerful

Cheers - will look later

That was one of my first thoughts - however, from cold I get no noise. I suppose the heat can make any hole larger ...

Reply to
Markg

Check the alternator bearing. Dead easy to do. Just get a jug of water and pour it over the alternator pulley whilst it is making the noise. If it disappears, you've found the cause.

Reply to
Conor

The noise could be coming from the exhaust manifold or any other joints in the exhaust system near your engine

Wiggy

Reply to
Wiggy