Electrical problem

2002 Subaru Outback VDC 3.0 Sedan, 135,000 miles

Had a very strange thing happen today. I went into a store after having driven around 30 miles. When I got back in the car it started fine, but I had all kinds of things going wrong. Radio/A/C light very dim, ABS light on, VDC light on, and temperature gauge was very low even though the engine was warmed up. I cautiously took the car around the lot and found that the speedometer and tachometer remained at 0. The steering seemed a bit heavier than usual. When I turned the car, there was binding or clunking from the rear, if I'm not mistaken. I pulled into another spot... the mileage LCD was dimming. When my foot was off of the brake, there was a chattering sound from somewhere in the engine compartment or firewall. I looked at the engine while it was running, but nothing seemed out of line. Since there was a service station right across the road, I decided I would try to make it there, but this time in addition to the other symptoms, I had to rev up the engine to get the car to move... the transmission seemed to be slipping. At that point I knew I needed to stop the car and shut it off. With engine off but key on, still had strange indications on the instrument panel including the security light flashing on and off rapidly... this with the key in the car! I could not even turn the key to off and pull it out. I checked the owners manual and found a mechanical lever underneath the steering column that allowed me to get the key out.

I walked over to the service station and they brought a portable charger over to the car. I was able to start the car and slowly drove it over to the service station with the charger still attached. I still had the heavy steering, ABS light, VDC light on, no speedometer or tachometer. The transmission was not slipping and the 'thunking' noise from the rear when I turned did not appear until I reached the service station.

They put the battery on fast charge, did a test and determined the alternator was bad. I was able to pull the car into a parking spot (same symptoms) until they could get an alternator for me in the morning. This crazy mish-mash of symptoms told me it was likely to be an electrical problem and most likely the alternator.

What does everyone else think? Has anyone else ever had these kinds of symptoms before? Was it alternator related or something else?

Any thoughts on the remanufactured alternator market?

Thanks, John

PS Not sure if this is related or not, but I degreased and cleaned the engine a couple of weeks ago (it really looks nice now 8-) ). I did not use any high-pressure spray, but there was degreasing fluid. Any relationship?

Reply to
jamason56

Sounds like a failing alternator to me. Too bad you ordered another alternator. I happen to have a new, never installed alternator for this model I would have sold you at probably a huge savings.

Reply to
johninky

I've had many if not most of these symptoms before, but never all at the same time. I got a 2000 OBW, BTW.

It's possible, try taking a spray bottle and spray some water around ignition cables, alternator, batteries, etc. and see if you see any sparking. I mean if you see sparking with a water bottle then you're definitely going to have problems next time you drive through a rainstorm.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

wow, my first thought was a broken or severely slipping belt.

I dunno. Hope you get it fixed up.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

HI All, Thanks for the replies. @ johninky - Thanks for the offer on the alternator. Unfortunately I have to get the car back on the road ASAP. @ Yosuf Kahn - I do wonder if that engine wash was involved. I'll try your tips. When you mention spraying water around the battery stuff does that include into the alternator as well or just around it? @ Lucky Texan - I just replaced my belt (3rd one) along with idler pulley and tensioner pulley a couple of months ago, so I'm pretty sure no problem in that area.

I am truly hoping it is only the alternator... the other options are scary. Keeping my fingers crossed... John

Reply to
jamason56

Hi All, Replacing the alternator fixed the problem. My intuition tells me the engine cleaning of a week ago may have caused the failure. But then again the car is 8.5 years old with 133,677 miles.

The only issue I have left is the security system is not working. The security light is flashing twice. It turns on immediately when the key is in the off position and turns off as soon as the key is in the on position. The owner's manual tells what one flash, three flashes and four flashes are (for tripped alarm sensors). I've also looked in the tech manuals but no luck yet. I've followed every step in the owner's manual, but no luck. The keyless entry system works fine, as does everything else. I'm hoping that losing the alternator and having all the wierd symptoms did not cause any other issues (ECM, TCM, etc.)

John

John

Reply to
jamason56

OK - now I'm feeling stupid. The security system was in the valet mode. That's what I get for not reading the manual close enough. I actually found this by searching the web for subaru security system problems. Everything is fine and hopefully it will stay that way. John

Reply to
jamason56

Yeah, around the alternator as well, of course.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

You better not spay water directly into the alternator. That's sure asking for trouble. Water and electrical do not mix.

Reply to
Bob Noble