Exhaust seems to blow in Winter

On me old Fiesta, it sounds like the exhaust blows when it's started in the Winter. At least, I think it's the exhaust. It makes an almost tinny, squeaky sound, when under load at very low revs (like rolling off in second when you should really be in first), and then it's okay when it's warmed up. Each year, I say I'll fix it when it's warmer, but I always forget. And it won't do it neutral, so it doesn't help to get the missus to rev it while I listen from the outside.

I was wondering if there's anything else it could be? Is it a common problem?

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Sounds like "pinking" to me. Timing slightly too advanced for the octane rating of the fuel and the temperature - so it goes away once the engine is warmed up.

Reply to
Graham J

Usual way to check for an exhaust leak is to block off the tailpipe with your hand. Cover it with a bit of rag if you don't like getting dirty. A leak can then be more easily heard; if it's not leaking, it should almost stall before it pushes your hand away.

I can think of no reason why an exhaust would only leak in the winter, and wonder if it had a leak that could be heard when driving, how it passes MOT's.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Actually, I think it does pink at other times, too. There is a rattling noise when accelerating before it's properly warmed up. I wonder if this is another specific symptom that only happens in Winter?

Trouble is, I see no way to change the timing, because AFAIK the ECU takes care of all that. I've wondered if the knock sensor is broken, although I get no management light or fault codes. I also wondered if one or both of the oxygen sensors needed replacing, although again - no codes, and I get good readings at MOT time.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Okay, I'll see if I can make it more audible by doing something like that.

Well, I was thinking maybe the metal was contracting (due to the cold) just enough to make it leak until it had warmed up. Or maybe the choke (assuming the ECU does something about the mixture when it's very cold) was somehow creating denser exhaust gases for a few minutes.

The MOT place I take it to (a local ATS, who just keep passing it every year for £30) also does exhausts, so I assume they'd be looking for a sales opportunity. They never mention it.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Be gentle with it while it is cold. Presumably it has hydraulic tappets so these might not work properly until the oil is properly warmed up.

Reply to
Graham J

My first thought would be a loose or cracked heat shield on the cat, or even loose catalytic labrynth inside the cat.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Sadly, no hydraulic tappets. Just shims.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

I've sometimes wondered if the pinking noise I sometimes hear is the cat's insides rattling around. I've tried thumping it, but it sounds solid. I wonder if I can get my borescope in the oxygen sensor hole?

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

That sounds unnecessarily cruel.

Do you want a parliamentary petition written against you? ;-)

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Cruel, but sadly necessary. At least it will bring the problem to the world's attention :-)

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre