Fiat 1.9TD engines

Well done Tim, you were spot on! I undid the ducting, pointed it into a bucket and started the engine. It ran quite well with barely any smoke. Ticking over, there was a steady series of oil drips blowing out of the ducting. At 1500rpm or so, those drips became a stream. So yes, the seals are clearly knackered!

So I've started removing the turbo, which means removing the entire exhaust manifold to get access to some of the bolts. Then I just need to find a replacement. Or ditch the turbo altogether and fit a non-turbo exhaust manifold. If they exist for these engines...

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

How does it run sans turbo? I'd warm it up fully say at 2000rpm for 30mins or so and check for other issues like HG / over heating / blowing coolant out / strange noises...

The motor itself may be ok...

tim. .

Reply to
Tim..

I didn't like to leave it running for too long with no air filter and the oil running into a bucket, but it sounded OK and miles better than it had with the turbo inline.

I'm feeling pretty confident that it is. ISTR the seller mentioning that coolant was being lost and I can't see any obvious leaks, so there is a question mark over the HD. But I'd pressure washed the crud off before starting so may have obscured signs of a leak. Some hoses do look a bit dodgy and the radiator's a bit battered. Local scrapyards' quoted 60 quid + VAT for a turbo, so it's not much of a gamble. It's taxed until the end of the month, so with any luck I can get it on the road for a few days to test it out without much of an outlay.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

OK, I gave up and bought a Mondeo instead! Shame really, but just shows I should have listened to you lot from the start. This was the smokey Fiat with the knackered turbo. I removed the turbo and welded a plate over the 'ole in the manifold, then put it back together. It ran OK but was still smokey and the coolant was disappearing. So head gasket gone, methinks. I was still intending to fix it to replace my wife's Passat, but said VW just expired leaving me out of time and patience. So Passat's gone to the crusher. Fiat's following it. Mondeo 1.8TD estate's taken their place. 800 quid for a W reg with 120K on the clock and receipts for new cambelt, etc. Not a difficult decision really!

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke