Fiesta 1.3 EFI engine questions.

Can anyone tell me the tappet clearances? And are these done hot or cold? Secondly, when the car starts, there is a large cloud of blue/white smoke (oil I presume) that almost instantly disappears on driving away. Do I infer from this that one or more valve seals have gone, and if so, is it cheaper to get them done, or to buy a recon head?

Cheers

Reply to
Gordon

No idea on the clearances but they're done cold. The smoke is indeed valve stem seals and there's no point buying a recon head just because some 10p seals have gone.

Reply to
Conor

Depends. If the engine has done a high mileage, the valve guides might be also be worn. If they are, fitting new seals might only cure the problem for a comparitively short time. A few thousand miles. In which case a recon head might be the easiest long term solution.

If it's the seals, new ones can be fitted fairly easily without removing the head or using special tools.

What's the oil consumption? Does it smoke when you accelerate, after slowing down with a closed throttle? If it does, it's a better indicator of worn seals, than a bit of smoke when you first start. Get some to follow you if it's not visible in the mirrors. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

106k

Seems to consume a bit, but not very much

Doesn't seem to.....

I'll do that. Thanks.

Reply to
Gordon