Fiesta 1.3 starting probs

I have a K reg 1.3 fiesta 40k miles ,manual choke which gives me no problems starting in wet,damp weather but as soon as it is frosty I have always problems starting first thing in the morning.Once started it seems to be ok for rest of day.It stays outside at night,and have even tried covering eng compartment with a blanket to no avail.The local garage have tried fitting new HT lead,new plugs and reset timing etc but problem still evident.I have noticed that before it does eventually start there seems to be a" popping" noise.I have tried blowing hot air over the eng compartment and after a while this seems to helpAnyone any ideas what the problem may be.Thanks

Reply to
Arfur Bittah

I had a carburetted Ford, can't remember which model, Fiesta or Escort no doubt, which exhibited the exact same symptons and I never found a cure. I was convinced at the time that cold weather stopped the petrol vapourising properly in the throttle body and the neat petrol going into the manifold was flooding the plugs. I used to heat the carburettor with a hair dryer

*before* trying to start the car and this usually worked.

I suppose a new carburettor or Weber conversion would sort the problem but in my case this cure would have cost more than the car was worth!

Reply to
Steptoe

Check that the choke fully closes when operated. Check for vacuum leaks (don't forget at the servo)

Otherwise try pumping the accelerator a couple of times before trying to start .

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful