early warning signs auto gearbox

Hi, could anyone kindly give a novice a few pointers on what to watch out for when buying a fairly old Corolla or Focus with an automatic geabox.

Are there any particular early warning signs of the auto box giving up the ghost?

Reply to
jw 1111

Clunking, excessive slipping, snatching gearchanges.

Also check the torque convertor by pressing hard on the footbrake, putting it in first and pressing down the accelerator. The revs should rise to around 2000RPM and hold there. If they start creeping up, walk away.

Check that the fluid is a nice clear red colour with no brown or signs of dirt. Also check the level WITH the engine running.

Reply to
Conor

Faulty changes, burnt fluid, leaks, clonks, don't forget to try reverse.

Reply to
mrcheerful

Check that the fluid is a nice clear red colour with no brown or signs of dirt. Also check the level WITH the engine running.

thanks to all. what is the difference between checking the fluid level with or without the engine running please?

Reply to
jw 1111

it will usually give a substantially different level between stopped and running and hot and cold, also it is not unknown for someone to put fresh fluid in, so if you dip it straight away it looks good, after a run it will all be mixed !!

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Yes, dont buy one of the earlier 99/2000 Focus auto's. They can be major problems. 02 onwards cars are fine.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

Oh dear, with respect, if you dont know whether to oil-check an auto engine on or off, I suggest you buy a manual.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

btfm?

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

If the Corolla box is anything like the carina they're unburstable, we got nearly 300K miles on ours...(AFAIK it's still running..)

Reply to
john

BTFM?

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

There was a recall out for the early Auto boxes on the Focus - check this has been done or that the car is not liable to it. Symptom is massive ATF leaks everywhere - beware of any pre 01 car with bright red new ATF - it's probably just piddled the original stuff everywhere.

Boxes from 02 plates onwards are sound - I wouldn't consider an earlier one even if it's been sorted.

Reply to
Chris Street

"Tim (remove obvious)" wrote

Why? This type of question is *exactly* what this newsgroup is for.

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

Indeed, Ford state that you should take it for at least a 10 mile run, and move the transmission from P to 1 and then back again immediatly before a check with the engine idling.

Reply to
Chris Street

The message from "jw 1111" contains these words:

Many autos now you can't check the level at all - there's no access to the fluid for ordinary mortals.

Reply to
Guy King

In news:f8Yof.37903$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe4-win.ntli.net, jw 1111 decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Don't buy an Auto Focus, they're bloody awful. Ford seem inable to do decent FWD autos.

Reply to
Pete M

Actually they are surprisingly good, possibly because it's a Mazda box and a Yamaha engine. Only a 4 speed box though.

Reply to
Chris Street

They're no good if you have to explain them...

cf RTFM

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

sheltered

Not bad at all when compared to the 1.6 manual, the auto is actually quicker day to day, as its not lumbered with the stupidly high gearing the manual is, and its keen to kick down.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

Have they changed the auto boxes in Focii lately then? The ones I drove, which admittedly were all new and pre-X reg, were absolutely atrocious. Indecisive, clunky, not that smooth, and seemed to sap tons of poke.

Reply to
Pete M

When I was looking for new car in 2002, it seemed that the loss in performance and economy between manual and auto versions was much worse for the Focus than for its competitors. I don't know why; I can't believe it doesn't have torque converter lock-up and other similar functions.

Reply to
www.fuelsaving.info