306 TD Cold Starting problem?

Hi all.

I?ve got an N reg 306 TD, the problem is when starting from cold it takes a bit of Cranking then it feels like it fires on 3, after a 20 seconds or so it clears and fires on all 4?

The thing is this car has had some History, i bought the car 2 years ago and shortly after it droped a Valve and Damaged the head quite badly but the Bottom end was ok. I Bought a New head and all was good for a Year until one of the steel inserts came out and realy damaged the engine, So i decided to get a Fully recon Motor. Then 6 months ago this bad starting problems came to light. Since then i had problems with the Heater inside not getting warm and it blowing Bubbles in the Coolant filler :roll: So i pulled the head off it and had a good look, could?nt see anything wrong so i sent the head to be Presure tested and Skimmed. To cut a long story short the head was Cracked realy badly, so thats been replaced. So as it stands i have a Bottom end thats done no more than 10k and a Top end thats Brand new But the Cold start problem did?nt go with the Cracked head.

SO... As i?m realy not clued up into Deisels and TBH after all this i still like the car what should i be looking at? I belive it had a New Fuel Pump just before i bought the car and all the things like Cam timing etc are Spot on.

Can anyone give me a Pointer into what i need to Clean/Replace to get my car running nicly again.

Thanks Chris

Reply to
Grizzly

I?ve just done some searching and the list of things to try at the moment are...

  1. Valve clearance
  2. Sticky valve
  3. Clean the Injectors

Can anyone think of anything else that would cause my Cold starting problem?

Cheers

"Grizzly" wrote: > Hi all. > > I've got an N reg 306 TD, the problem is when starting from > cold it takes a bit of Cranking then it feels like it fires on > 3, after a 20 seconds or so it clears and fires on all 4? > > The thing is this car has had some History, i bought the car 2 > years ago and shortly after it droped a Valve and Damaged the > head quite badly but the Bottom end was ok. I Bought a New > head and all was good for a Year until one of the steel > inserts came out and realy damaged the engine, So i decided to > get a Fully recon Motor. Then 6 months ago this bad starting > problems came to light. Since then i had problems with the > Heater inside not getting warm and it blowing Bubbles in the > Coolant filler :roll: So i pulled the head off it and had a > good look, could'nt see anything wrong so i sent the head to > be Presure tested and Skimmed. To cut a long story short the > head was Cracked realy badly, so thats been replaced. > > So as it stands i have a Bottom end thats done no more than > 10k and a Top end thats Brand new But the Cold start problem > did'nt go with the Cracked head. > > SO... As i'm realy not clued up into Deisels and TBH after all > this i still like the car what should i be looking at? I > belive it had a New Fuel Pump just before i bought the car and > all the things like Cam timing etc are Spot on. > > Can anyone give me a Pointer into what i need to Clean/Replace > to get my car running nicly again. > > Thanks > Chris

Reply to
Grizzly

Glow plugs? Or Glow Plug controller?

sorry to po> I've just done some searching and the list of things to try at the > moment are...

Reply to
The Devils Advocaat

I hate to point out the obvious but have you checked the glow plugs?

Reply to
The Devils Advocaat

You describe the exact symptoms that my wife's 306 displayed. Totally cured with a new set of glow plugs (also known as heater plugs).

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Ok, I have just ordered a set of Glow plugs and a set of Injectors.

I am going to take the Cam cover off at week end and see how tight the Bucket gaps are.

Cheers Chri

"Grizzly" wrote

Reply to
Grizzly

Well i had a play with it today and found the Cam clearances where tight so had a bit of a Play with that and (touch wood) seems to be ok.

One other thing that i?ve noticed recently, after the head was done it does?nt seem as Nippy? TBH the Turbo does?nt sound as loud as it did so i am guessing the Boost level has droped for some reason (maybe an Air leak) Does anyone know what they are suposed to be set to?

Cheers Chris

"Grizzly" wrote: > Ok, I have just ordered a set of Glow plugs and a set of > Injectors. > > I am going to take the Cam cover off at week end and see how > tight the Bucket gaps are. > > Cheers > Chris

Reply to
Grizzly