Fiesta Mk4 1.3 finesse...

Spins like a good un, fires with cold start, but doesn't start. I'm thinking fuel pump or supply to pump (relay/fuse?) - where do I start looking? Or has someone here seen this before?

Reply to
Jim

fuse 28 powers the fp relay r9 if the fuse is blown then the pump has probably died. Some fiestas have a collision switch behind the glove box that can trip with a speed hump. connections to the pump can corrode too.

Reply to
MrCheerful

On my mk5 (or is it mk6 - I was never sure), you can hear the fuel pump make a faint buzzing/humming noise for a second or so after turning on the ignition, but before turning the starter motor.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

you should be able to hear it, if things are quiet.

Last week I took in a customer Focus for MoT, while I was in the car, on the ramp, engine running, checking the lights, the engine died: dead fuel pump, fuse blown, we put in a new fuse just in case, and the fuel pump would just make a slight clonk, but no whirr. A new pump went in and away it went, this is the third one I have had to change on a focus, and it is not a fun job.

So they can literally just die while running, although death when you first try to start or after being left standing for a while is the usual trick.

Reply to
MrCheerful