Fiesta Red Key

Hi group,

Just a question on the immobilizer on a ford fiesta 1.25lx 1999. Well I assume it has an immobilizer. I have a fiesta with no red programming key. My dad had a fiesta and I seem to remember he had a key which was all red. However I bought a used fiesta which only came with a black key that has a small red spot on the end.

So I assume I can't reprogram a new key should I need to. Or is this the red programming key I have and ford have just changed to marking it with a red dot?

My only concern is if for any reason the battery goes flat or the battery is disconnected does this mean the immobilizer has to be reprogrammed with the red key?

If so I'll just make sure I don't disconnect the battery for anything.

Reply to
david.cawkwell

I've got a 1998 Fiesta 1.3 Encore, and that came with 2 black keys (each with a red dot), and a small all-black key that can only be used for opening the doors, not starting the car. I didn't get any all-red key.

Reply to
Simon

I'd be surprised if it didn't.

I think Fords of this age don't have a red (programming) key.

However, if you ever need to program a new key, you need to have two normal working keys already. If not, you need a dealer and a full wallet!

No.

...and it won't go flat for any other reason?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

With your year of car, you do not have a red master key, this was dis continued.

You however need 2 standard black keys in order to programme a new one. You may have upto 6 keys in use at any one time.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Oh I only have one key for it.

So I assume if the power fails on the car I will have no way to start the car.

Tim.. wrote:

Reply to
david.cawkwell

Until you recharge the battery, no. The immobiliser will still remember your key, however.

Reply to
David Taylor

As I told the OP two days ago :-)

Chris