ford red /black key problem

just bought a escort van to repace my old one

new van came with only one key (black red insert)

i need second key

so i can either go to ford, splash out a lot for a replacment red key then use this to get second key.

or i can transfer all the lock from my old van to the new one (prefered optionh as all parts are free. where is the module which has the electronic code as i will have to swap that.

tia Andy

Reply to
Andrew Carr

Which colour insert? Red or back?

It's the ECU that knows the ID of the key, so you'll have to swap them over.

If it's a diesel, there's more than a small chance that you may need to change something on, or the whole diesel pump on the engine.

It's not so easy these days.

OTOH, are you sure it has PATS? Is there a red LED on the clock or dash that flashes slowly? If so, you *do* have PATS, so you'll need to swap some bits over, or get a new red key. Budget on ~100ukp for re- programming and a new key.

If there's no red flashing LED, you might be OK.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

£65 for reprogramming and new keys at a good locksmith. Depends where the OP is.
Reply to
Doki

its a diesel, with the red flashing led. vans are 1995 and 2000 vintage

i will have a look at the module on the injector pump

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Carr