Fiesta Zetec Engine Overheating Problem.

My engine is overheating badly, a week or two after the heater packed up.

Took it to garage who didn't really want to know - i think they suspected a head gasket blown (Fiesta Zetec 1600 SE, 60000 miles).

They rang me back happy as larry to report that they had replaced a faulty Heater control valve and that they had bled the system and replaced the coolant: Happy days.

Except I ran the car for about 30 minutes when I got it back and was dismayed to see the temperature gauge rise past half way and go back down again, like it was before.

So I'm not sure what to do next? Find a different garage? get it booked in for a more thorough examination?

What could be wrong? best case is they didn't bleed it properly and I still have an air lock to work through. Worst case?

I use the car to travel for work (need to replace it really) so I'm hoping to understand what could be wrong so I can haggle with the mechanic.

Any clues?

Thanks in advance..

Mark.

Reply to
mbirch

Worst case - head gasket as a result of previous overheating. Indicated by white smoke on acceleration, white mayo type residue on oil filler cap, oil in coolant...

...although I doubt it is. Let it idle for a while with the heater on full and the lid off the coolant bottle.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Isnt that what it is supposed to do?

It rises as the coolant temperature rises, then it will fall when the fan kicks in and drags some air through the rad pulling the heat out of the coolant?

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton