Fiesta Zetec Idle Problem

Still having a problem with the idle speed on my 2000 Fiesta 1.25 Zetec. When I come to a halt the revs stay at around 1500 for a couple of seconds before dropping back to around 900. I was told that it was probably a idle air control valve which should be replaced. This made sense and when I removed it the mating face was corroded so I ordered a new one and fitted it. Made no difference at all. Was then told to re-set the ECU by disconnecting the battery for a few hours. Did this but it made no difference either. I've now been told that it may be a faulty throttle position sensor as this is common in both the Fiesta and Ka. However I don't want to spend another £60 unless I know for sure that it is faulty. Is there some way I can test it bearing in mind that I'm not too technical. Was told the following by a crypton tuning guy who says he got the tip from Ford. He said to remove the multiplug from the throttle position sensor and then to remove the socket that the multiplug goes into which is mounted onto the side of the TPS. He then said to drill out the two mounting holes just to the next size up and re-mount everything. According to him this may solve the problem! Does this make any sense to anyone? Thanks for any ideas.

Alex

Reply to
JAT

IME, this is normal behaviour, certainly for my Orion and Mk 2 Mondeo afterwards.

1500 sounds a little high, they used to idle at about 1200 for a couple of seconds, but it's probably within normal parameters.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

Someone else said that Pete but I've had the car for 6 years and it has only started doing this in the past few months.

Alex

Reply to
JAT

Ah.

OK. That puts a different spin on it. I'd also have assumed that it was the idle valve too.

Does it rev freely up to 6k, or does it go flabby at 4k?

ISTR someone posting the same day as you, with very odd symptoms, with the same engine. Something about a crank sensor putting the ECU into limp home mode.

Did the car ever rev to about 1200 and then go back down again, or is the whole "high revs while coasting" new? If so, maybe you used to have a problem that's gone away ;-)

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

The car drives perfectly in every other way whether in town or on the motorway. It's definitely not in limp home mode. Since you mention it something the car always did from new was stall at low revs. What I mean by that is that I could be turning a corner slowly and the car would just stop. It has not did this since the present high revving thing has started.

Alex

Reply to
JAT