Ground Clearance Using Tyres

Hi Group,

Thinking of buying some new tyres for the offroading lark, I would like to acheive maximum ground clearance without going to wide on the track - i.e narrow tyres.

I have a choice between standard 16" series 3 wheels or discovery 16" 7j wheels.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Roger

Reply to
Rog

i had normal"long wheelbase "rims and 205x16 mudtrack tyres on my LR90 and changed to the ROSTYLE rangerover steel rims with 7.50x16 mudtrack tyres fitted.

the diameter of the 205 tyres was 28 1/2 " and the 7.50x16 tyres are 31 1/2" . i measured the difference between heights of chassis off ground before and after and find a 2 " height increase between the 2 .

the bottom of chassis went from 14"to 16" off ground .

i wanted extra clearance under axles , which the 7.50x16 gave me .

obviously i had measured 2 different sets of rims , being long wheel base rimmed tyres and the others were rangerover rimmed .

i just use kingpin mudtrack remoulds from paddock and the width of actual tread is around 6 1/2 to 7" .

i also have some 235/75x16 bf goodrich AT tyres , these are 28 1/2" diameter but have a wider tread width than the mudtrack tyres

Reply to
M0bcg

i have broncos ( 235x85x16) on standard white 8 spokes and side by side with 7.50s the broncos are much taller, hence more ground clearance.

but better still get some 9.50s the ones fitted to 101s there even taller ( i think)

andy

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Andy

I had Petlas tyres as fitted to 101s on my S3 when I bought it, they are just too big and will rub on your body work.

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Martin (Wirral, UK)

Unless you fit 1-ton spring shackles which allow 900x16 tyres to fit a S11 or S111 which used to be a popular mod.

Reply to
Exit