Fitted my new exhaust - but it leaks a little...

I now have a shiny and rather excessively large FleaBay stainless exhaust on my Mondeo. Nice noise though, and not too loud. Just a pair of 6"x3" letterboxes on the back to laugh at as I drive past.

Anyway, where it bolts onto the back of the cat it just has a two hole diamond shaped flange. It seems to be fairly close fitting, but I noticed when it started up from cold that there were fine droplets of water coming from the bottom of the join.

I did clean the surfaces, and I used a new aluminium gasket, and double nutted both of the new 10mm bolts. The faces appeared to line up.

Do I just need to slather it in some sort of gasket/paste stuff to seal it? Or just undo it and try aligning it better and see if it seals then?

Any clues appreciated...

Reply to
PCPaul

Smoother is with gun gum :) ... bolt it back it.

Or see if you can align it better, but a paste is more than likely needed.

Reply to
maxi

Allegedly you can use silicone sealent on them. But personally I'd just gum some exhaust gasket on. Full system or cat back?

Reply to
DanB

i would'nt worry about it, it will soon corrode together & then stop leaking.

Reply to
reg

if it makes no noise then leave it alone.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Cat back. The cat is still in good nick, and doesn't look all that restrictive in terms of pipework.

The old exhaust was lousy, though. Big crimps on the inside of all the bends, losing maybe 1/3 of the diameter...

It *seems* to go better now, but that might be just because it makes the right noises... ;-)

Reply to
PCPaul

Presumably it's an MOT fail (or at least they'd have to seal it at that point to get it to pass).

Anyway, I got some paste from the local factors today for £3 and it's a ten minute job to pop it back on the ramps and rejoin it.

I need to do that anyway - the only 10mm nuts I had in the garage were Nylocs and they won't last sat right next to the cat, so I've got some plain nuts to put on it instead now too.

Reply to
PCPaul

Extra 20bhp for a cat back

Reply to
Abo

minor leaks are not a fail.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Even better. And I've tweaked the airbox as well - the simple way with a series of 25mm holes before the air filter. Dunno if iut helps but it doesn't seem to have hurt. I just fancied fiddling with it 'on the cheap'.

And yes I have told the insurance - alloys, modified air filter, modified exhaust. Added about £40 to the renewal price. It's nice being old(er) ;-)

Reply to
PCPaul