Flaky amber bulbs.

Possibly a silly question, but... Having had an advisory about an indicator bulb becoming too white, I was wondering if you can paint the
things? I know bulbs get hot, but a flashing one might not. And although they're cheap enough, throwing otherwise good bulbs away grates a little. I see you can get amber light paint, but I think this is for continental driving, and so might be more yellow than amber/orange/whatever they're supposed to be.
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

If it's an advisory, and it looks OK to you, just ignore it.
MOT places cover themselves by writing advisories that are sometimes complete fabrications. It reduces their chances of an unexpected VOSA check.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Chris Whelan wrote:

Okay :-) It does look alright to me.

I always get an advisory about my oil leak. I'm in no mood to rush out and fix it, and it is only small, but maybe one day :-)

On 8/24/2017 11:43 AM, Chris Whelan wrote:

Also a sign that you have a good garage. Bad ones give fails and hope to get the business. I always avoid "discount" MOT places for the same reason.
newshound wrote:
[...]

The one I use is not very local, but only does MOT's, so has no agenda.
If they get a fail that is a bulb, they keep common ones in stock, and will lend you a screwdriver, then re-test for free. They have also failed one of mine on headlamp alignment, adjusted it and re-tested it without even telling me.
If anyone is in Berkshire, Drift Lane MOT.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

On 24/08/2017 11:32, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

the covering comes off every few years, just change the bulb. There is no point in getting a Police pull for an insufficiently coloured indicator, for the sake of a quid, the filament will be tired by now in any case.
you can also buy orange bulb paint:
http://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/ce/en/overview/1201031/Light-Bulb-Paint
MrCheerful wrote:

It's 14 years old - I can hardly complain :-) This car seems to be very lucky with bulbs.

I'm just thinking that if I had some to hand, it might be more convenient. Or it might just be something else that sits on the shelf and goes off. I wonder if my can of Bradex Easy-Start will ever see use again?
On 24/08/2017 12:36, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

I used mine last week, for a lawnmower !
MrCheerful wrote:

I've got a hand-push lawnmower. Maybe a quick spray of ether in the nostrils will give me bit more energy? Actually, against all my expectations, it's the easiest-to-use mower I've ever had.
On 8/24/2017 12:46 PM, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

Wouldn't work on my lawns. Not using them at the moment, my mowing criterion is when I can see the weeds over the half metre fence (garden is terraced and the lawn is at eye level from the kitchen). I have a big bastard Flymo with the Tecumseh engine that just mulches the lot.
newshound wrote:

I think what you need is agent orange :-)
On 8/24/2017 4:06 PM, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

Well I did just blitz the bindweed where the pond used to be with Paraquat!
:-)

Funnily enough, we were talking about this sort of thing today ... how 'modern' clear lenses with coloured lamps are (IOO) more difficult to see in many circumstances.
In a three mile journey today we came across 3 such incidents, two where we stopped at roundabouts where we didn't need to and one where we had to pull up sharply because we didn't realise they were indicating and did. ;-(
I can't remember that being the case with the pre-fashion coloured lenses ... where the actual lens lit up, rather than it acting like a lamp, projecting light out and often masking the other (important) lights. ;-(
It's the opposite requirement of a lighthouse where it's the beam you need but the same as a neon light where you want to see the light as illumination, not like a torch.
Same as traffic lights where they 'look' red, amber or green, not 'shine' red, amber or green.
When daughter bought her second hand Suzuki 600 Bandit it had been modified with those tiny LED indicator lights that we promptly removed and put back to the stock offering. It's dangerous enough as it is out there and hearing 'Sorry mate, I didn't see you indicating' is little comfort as you are being loaded into the ambulance.
Now of course, 'some' of these clear lens-coloured lamp indicators are better than others but it really frustrates me when someone 'upgrades' their cars by replacing what works and works well with something that 'most people' would consider does not, making it more dangerous for everyone. ;-(
I think every car should have the old 'bee-hive' lenses like I had on the back of my Morris Minor van or like you see on the old Land Rovers. ;-)
Cheers, T i m
On 24/08/2017 19:46, T i m wrote:

Plus 1 on modified lights, especially the tiny leds on motorcycles, I saw one yesterday where the rear lamp had the indicators built in, making it nearly impossible to see them. There should be a minimum width apart and a minimum area. The ones on my old Suzuki were huge and very easy to spot.
The old moggy type also have the advantage of a much wider viewing and can be seen even from 90 degrees, probably because of the fresnel lens design.
On Thu, 24 Aug 2017 21:01:31 +0100, MrCheerful

I think it should be an MOT failure (assuming it isn't already on motorcycles etc).

I thought there was in the construction and use rules?

Just as they should be. But then I guess there are some people who are more into style than they are common sense and survival. ;-(

I think the clear lenses can also be fresnel but that's not typically what you want for illuminating an area. I think most of the sort of lenses I've see of the traditional type generally have a prismatic type effect on the inside, to spread the light along and within the lens, not straight though it. ;-(
That's why it's difficult to replace a conventional incandescent lamp with LED in a fitting that was designed for a lamp that radiated light evenly around nearly 360 degrees in all planes.
So the lamp would both illuminate the lens directly (and evenly) and from the specifically designed reflector. LEDs often have a fairly tight radiation angle and hence why many of the LED > incandescent replacements look like a corn on the cob. ;-)
Different if the fitting is designed for LEDs as they often have multiple LEDS in a flat array pointing out. Most LED Hi level brake lights are behind a red lens though, helping to 'spread' the light across the lens so again, it lights the lens up, rather than just shines though it.
Cheers, T i m
On 25-Aug-17 12:11 AM, T i m wrote:

I suspect UK C&U have been trumped by EU regs.
Clearly not if you look at Passat tail lights, before the newer LL lights there were round tail/brake lights surrounding the indicator. When the brakes were on, as they are when someone commences a manoeuvre by braking before signalling a turn, the indicator when eventually it is switched on is invisible in the glare of the brake light. With an automatic it has to be held on the bake while signalling at a junction.
http://st.motortrend.com/uploads/sites/10/2015/11/2010-volkswagen-passat-komfort-sedan-angular-rear.png
New Clio, micro rear indicators, no diffuser so all you see is the direct light from point source. It's "lens" is the little grey bit between the reflectors, next to the hatch shut line.
http://parkers.bauercdn.com/PageFiles/76282/DSC_6287.JPG
Peugeot 108, minuscule moped sized indicator.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/2uv6vpx9KR8/maxresdefault.jpg
As these are all EU made and type tested with E marked lighting they must conform to EU regs.
On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 14:48:47 +0100, Peter Hill

Well, firstly, thanks for all the examples of crazy form-over-function design. ;-(
Secondly, we may have nearly witnessed a classic example of this stupidity in action this very evening when we heard the large bang behind us as we were out walking along the high street when a car drove straight across mini roundabout as a car was turning right in front of them. ;-(
We don't know if they were indicating or not but even if they were, the sun could so easily have been masking it these days.
The bits of bumper and (plastic) headlight were still in the road when we went home.
Cheers, T i m