Bulb Dye

Back in the 60's you could get small bottles of colored dye for interior and instrument panel bulbs. As I recall it came in Amber, Red, Blue, and Green and cost about a dollar or so.

I'd like to be able to dye the bulbs on my Stewart Warner gauges but no place has it and most don't even know what it is or was. I know you can buy red and blue bulbs like the Tuners and low rider people use but sizes are limited as well as only the 2 colors; not to mention a foolishly high price for a package of 2 colored bulbs.

My tach came with a small red and a green shield for the bulb but I don't find these anywhere and they only fit a #53 bulb so that limits them.

Any suggestions or success with alternatives to the old fashioned bulb dyes?

-- Mike.................................................... "Opportunities are spawned from crisis"

Reply to
Rufus T. Firefly

Don't know about the dyes, but if the bulb covers can help you, you can get them in packs directly from Auto-Meter;

Look-up page 87 in that catalog.

HTH

Reply to
Lefty

If you take hi temp paint and spray it into a can and use a brush to coat bulb or nail polish works great

Roscoe

Priveye

Thanks and yes they are still around. Will check it out.

Their address was/is:

2431 University Av. Riverside, CA 92507 909 684-0292 (The area code might be different by now as I'm looking at an old brochure.)

Hope this helps.

Good Luck,

Mike Edwards '56 Olds Super 88 (full kustom)

Reply to
Rufus T. Firefly

The 60's were more or less a blur but I clearly recall gas being as cheap as

21.9 for regular and 23.9 for premium. In 1970 I worked part time at a Getty station ( to use the lift of course ) and gas was 33.9 at the time. Isn't it awful that now we feel lucky if the price goes anywhere close to $1.25 a gallon??

Cheap gas, bulb dye, and Indian brand gasket shellac, where did the time go?

-- Mike.................................................... "Opportunities are spawned from crisis"

Reply to
Rufus T. Firefly

How about that Sunoco 260? I remember going out on Friday nights with my

70 Charger R/T, knowing sooner or later I was going to get into a street race somewhere, so I paid the absolutely outrageous price of $.50 a gallon for the higher octane Sunoco gas!
Reply to
tranch

used to get 5 gallons of 260 for $1.75 exactly for my snowmobile...............boy those were good days

Reply to
Batty

I swipe the wife's nail polish. If there's any left, then the bulbs get painted

"451ctds" wrote:

Reply to
Jeff Rice