Foci - what to look out for?

Thanks folks - the Mk 1 is that the model with the more triangular shaped lights on the rear hatch area?

Many thanks for your loads of useful info - now I'll wander off and investigate local Foci.. drove one last weekend and it seemed very nice 04 model but seemed overpriced, so I'm still lurking and looking.

Reply to
Alf

FYI, there is a newsgroup just for the Focus at alt.autos.ford.focus. It has about a 50/50 mix of US/UK posts.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

ISTR the service guide was generic and covered all Ford models of the era. Ford usually referred to the silvertop as the Zetec, the blacktop as the Zetec E and the Yamaha designed engines as the Zetec SE.

I'm sure the Zetec E blacktop was always 100k/10 years. One of the differences between the silvertop and the blacktop was a revised cambelt routing.

In your book, does the zetec 80k entry say 5 years or 8 years?

Reply to
Paul Giverin

I'd always pick a 1.8 in the Mk1. The 2.0 is quicker, but they're bloody thirsty for a Focus. The 1.6 is a slug. The 1.4 is a lame slug.

Reply to
Pete M
[...]

It says 5, the dealer told me 8!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Yeah, the 80k/5 year was definitely for the silvertop only.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Purely out of interest, what is your source of information? Only the service book that came with my Focus quite clearly lists the E as being 8 years, and the SE as 10. Are you saying that it was wrong when printed?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

It is a Ford Direct. It was a Hertz car for 3-4 months, when it accummulated 10K miles. I think it was then stored for time to catch up and sold through the Ford Direct scheme when it was 12 months old.

You would be surprised: it had the additional A/C and safety pack (ABS et al) *because* it was a rental car. And to me, these are the things that matter, not big fat wheels and wood trim on a mid-range, family hatch.

Good to know Ford got itself sorted.

Kostas

Reply to
Kostas Kavoussanakis

My MK3 Mondeo (1.8 5D, Zetec Sat Nav) was a Ford Direct ex-rental.

Bought 9 months old at 11,000 miles, my only grouch was that it should have been serviced before sale. The oil clearly hadn't been changed and I went back and insisted it be done, which they agreed reluctantly and in a patronising manner. "Oh well, just to make you happy"...

Reply to
Gordon H

In message , Alf writes

Pushbike with basket on front and the web address of National Express?

Reply to
Clint Sharp

In message , Chris Whelan writes

With respect, you're wrong. The rental one I'm pootling about in has a bunch of equipment that is not basic or standard fit.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

I've just bought a Mk1 (2001) Ford Focus metallic silver estate 2.0 (Zetec black) engine, very pleased with the car (it replaced my old 1.8 escort estate)

My Focus specification; one owner since new, 40,000 genuine miles, full Ford dealer service history, new tyres 205/50 on "16" alloys, sports suspension, AC, ABS, Traction control, twelve months warrantee, heated screens and mirrors, CD with radio remote control, electric windows.

I think I got a reasonable deal even though I bought the car from a Ford main dealer for just over £3000 ukp, perhaps a little more than I would from a private sale..

The road holding is superb, just like driving on rails with the bigger tyres and beefed up suspension, even for an old codger like me ;)

Stephen.

Reply to
sdhull

And this is why I don't like Fords. More than £300 a year on fixing broken stuff? Or are you including servicing in that figure?

Reply to
Doki

I've owned only Ford vehicles since 1983. The total cost of faults with

*all* these vehicles has not amounted to £2.5K!

Present one (10-year old Focus, owned from new) has had a total cost of "fixing broken stuff" of around 100UKP!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Less than I spent on the Audi. It depends on the mileage though...

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Yup. Rental cars are very often in good spec.

I've seen some really weirdly specced rental cars though. One hire company I worked for had around 20 'S' reg Focus 1.8 Zetecs with all the toys, but no passenger airbags - even though the Focus has always officially had twin airbags.

I've also driven Avis 1.0 Corsas (as in the original Corsa) with A/C... flicking on the AC nearly stood it on its nose.

Reply to
Pete M

Unsuprisingly rental companies tend to lease all the odds & sods left over.

Reply to
Duncan Wood
Reply to
Kostas Kavoussanakis

Well I was doing 40K a year at the time & that included tyres so YMMV

Reply to
Duncan Wood

As has been said elsewhere, the 1.8 feels materially quicker than the 1.6. The 2.0 is more an incremental improvement over the 1.8 and is juicy.

Reply to
DervMan