996 1999 or 2000 - what to expect?

Hi,

I am in MA, USA and searching the market to get my first Porsche 911. I have about of $30K for that so it limits me pretty much with 1999 models as I can see it.

Could anyone here please explain - is there any problems to expect with this particular year or would it be much more wiser to get year 2000 model? Only thing I have heard was some reports about early 1999 production engine failures but naturally I have no idea nor details of how to examine a new buy for that issue. Is there anything else of "bad stuff" to expect? What are the common hidden problems on this model that got to be checked?

Is it normal to see an oil marks on main seal between engine and transmission? I do not mean it drips, but if obvious stains are there - is it a sign of a problem coming? Transmission itself - after how many miles is it eminent to die?

Generally speaking I just wonder like in common case of 1999 996 model with

40-50K miles on it - what to listen to and what to check?
Reply to
Paul Utkin

The current issue of Excellence Magazine has a buyer's guide on the

996 - check it out. epbrown
Reply to
E Brown