Foci - what to look out for?

Might have - either way, in theory it's ten years. Since the Ibiza is 9 and up for replacement, the optimist in me says it won't be an issue... :)

I'm in the "mostly" camp but then most of my driving is either motorway cruising or gentle meandering A-road stuff...

Yes it does, as does having a top-heavy power band - but most people easily adapt. It also makes it delightfully quiet, engine noise wise, for a given road speed. Given that most Focus-sized cars were either a diesel or a 1.4 or 1.6, I see why Ford did what they did. The 1.4 has short gearing, well spaced, whereas the 1.6 has tall gearing. I seem to remember that finding a

1.8 LX was difficult, finding a 1.8 Zetec was easier, with the 2.0 reserved for the Zetec ESP and Ghia models.

I'm not sure that I believe that, though...

I suppose we could throw in the 1.4 with its 75 PS (or was it 74?).

And again the 1.4 with either 42.8 or 44.1.

We had two 1.4s on the fleet and a single 1.6. We replaced one of the 1.4s with a mark 1.5 :) 1.6.

Although the 1.4 is very much the pikey engine of the range, I didn't find them as terrible as the reputation would suggest. Not quick mind... kinda like the 1.6 8v Astra at the time.

I liked the 1.6, but found it an unusual package in Zetec trim: tall gearing, sportier handling, lots of time in second and third gear... I did prefer the 1.8 for hoofing it about, but either / or would have worked for me.

On paper. I didn't compare the 1.6 and 1.8 like for like; the 1.6 was suitably economical on a long haul trip from York to Seaford and back, showing mid 40s. The 1.8 was low 30s over my commute but I was seeing how pokey it was.

Comparing the 1.6 Focus with the 1.6 Zetec-E Escort, the Focus was significantly more economical, but emissions crappery had suitably killed the 1.6 Escort's consumption. Although I really didn't like the 1.6 CVH it was economical in the very late 80s / early 90s Escort before all that fuel injection gunk.

1.4 shows ~92 Lbs / ft, which is around 125 Nm I believe.

A little! ;-)

In the end I didn't buy a Focus but went down the Saab route instead. I like the Focus and for my driving, any engine apart from the 2.0 models would be just fine. Ideally the TDCi...

Reply to
DervMan

Early Focii didn't have much as standard until you reached the Ghia model... We had two 1.4 CLs with optional air conditioning, electrics, CD multichanger, which were better equipped than standard LXs apart from single locking (LX and above had double locking).

I forget when air conditioning was added to the LX as standard but I suspect it was close to or at the updated model. Now almost all Focus Zetecs had air conditioning because a buddy wanted to buy a 1.6 three door without it; I seem to recall it was part of the £500 option pack that included QuickClear.

I was looking for a mark one Focus with cruise control, but it was optional on the 2.0 Ghia and the 2.0 engine isn't all that rapid and is thirsty...

Reply to
DervMan

Ford quite often update stuff, though. When I bought my '94 mark one Mondeo TD, it had been serviced every 6,000 miles. The interval was extended to

10,000 miles in '98 I believe, but the supplying dealer was more than happy to service it more often.
Reply to
DervMan

Two chunky people up, plus a suitcase, the 1.6 we hired would be wanting fourth if you had to slow down to HGV speeds on a motorway gradient, then wanted to get back up to 70. Sure, it'd do it in top, but it wasn't responsive.

This wouldn't be a deal breaker for me...

Reply to
DervMan

Had our 1.6 Mk2 Focus for a year now, and have been pleased with it. We came from a 1.4 Peugeot 306 so that might give indications of our expectations.

2 kids, 2 adults, roofbox and boot full seem fine for long journeys. Round town on the school run most of the time, and averages about 28mpg in the winter, higher in the summer, and has been known to get around 40mpg or so on long motorway drives (probably without the roofbox or bars!).

Our old 306 averaged 36mpg over about 9 months or so - but the Mk2 Focus is much heavier, and has AC, heated front screen, jets and mirrors etc - so understandably drinks more than the old 306 1.4.

So, from my experience it doesn't seem that the 1.6 Focus is bad - doubt I'd want a 1.4 Focus though. Considering the mpg from our general use, I'd expect the 1.8 to be even more thirsty and so the 1.6 is probably best for our use.

David Hearn

It's amazing how common they are, I was sat in a line of 5 Foci including mine the other day . I've got the Tdci one which is capable of 60+ MPG!

Reply to
Simon P

Jonah