Ford Direct - Tricky Question

Hi guys,

Not for the first time I find myself with a car question I would prefer to ask here before approaching my Ford dealer.

Having bought a F.D. Mondeo, 9 months old, with 10,000 miles on the clock, I checked the levels two weeks later after about 260 miles. The oil was (typically) slightly over-filled, but when I took a sample from the dipstick it looked as though it had done 10,000 miles, rather than

260, since the oil was new. The filter casing also looked as though it had been in place more than 260 miles, but I couldn't get at any label to check date or mileage label.

I understood that all Ford Direct cars are fully serviced in preparation, but the Annual Standard service is 12,500 miles from new. If the oil was not changed during preparation, then in theory I could do another 12,500 miles before servicing is due, which means that the oil would have been in the engine for 22,500 miles. It is more likely that I will do about 6,000 miles and have the service carried out after

12 months at 16,000 miles.

I will pose this question to the dealer and/or Ford Direct, but I wonder what opinions the group might have about the oil/mileage situation? I am 71 y/o and it is quite a few years since I did my own oil changes. ;-)

Reply to
Gordon

Is there a stamp in the service book?

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

Forgive the stupidity, but if it is a diesel I think you will find that the oil will look crappy after a few miles as it absorbs the combustion products of the diesel. If it's petrol ahve a quiet word with them pointing out that as their reputation may be at stake they might like to double check and rectify the problem.

Reply to
Hirsty's

Hirsty's writes

It is petrol. Thanks for the reply, I will adopt your suggestion.

They (Br*mh*ll Q**cks) already know me quite well, because

a) The manual for the Radio and Sat/Nav was missing when I collected the car. They were "on order" but I resorted to making myself comfortable in the Sales reception area until they produced one. :-)

b) The rubber floor mats (part of the deal) were said to be "out of stock" when I collected the car, so I called their spares next day and found they had some in, so I reserved a set and called in to collect them.

c) (More seriously) I was allowed to drive away the car when I collected it without the tax disc in place. It was on the salesman's desk along with my insurance cover note......

A sloppier experience than the previous FD car I bought from them, but I am still within the 30 days and 1000 miles limit for a "No quibble" exchange for an equivalent replacement.

Reply to
Gordon

Only an unsigned, undated, stamp which says Ford Direct and the mileage, which was 9997.

There is no stamp in the 1st Annual Service square, and the schedule for that is 12,500 miles or August 8th, 2006.

If I had bought the car new, it would be 1st November 2005 for its

1st Annual, or at 12,500 miles, another 2000, but no way am I paying for a service on that date!
Reply to
Gordon

Gordon writes

The Sales Manager agreed to an oil and filter change tomorrow, "Because it's my job to keep customers happy".

He didn't even look at the sample of oil I took with me. :-) Thanks for all comments.

Reply to
Gordon

THe £10 it'll cost them is worth it to keep your business.

Reply to
Conor

Get them to stamp your 1st annual service box in the service book to show that the oil has been changed. From my reading of your post the 1st annual service box has no stamp in it? This service is little more than an oil & filter change and a checkover so they should stamp it, which will see you through to your next annual service at an expected 16,000 miles in August

2006. If you go through to August 2006 with no stamp in the book, and no service invoice from the dealer, you could have problems with warranty claims against Ford in the future?
Reply to
Doctor D

Doctor D writes

Hmm, it was done today, but the only stamp is the Ford Direct stamp at

9997 miles, which they say is evidence of a 'service', whatever that might mean. I have checked that the filter housing is new and the oil is clean.

They maintain that all FD cars carry the warranty. I wanted the oil change because I may keep the car after the warranty period and oil is something I don't compromise with.

Reply to
Gordon