Ford Puma Remote Ignition Key Queries

After nearly 8 years I think the batteries may have finally gone in my ignition key so I'm locking using the key in the lock. The car still starts OK - should it do this with the key batteries exhausted or will it suddenly not start?

The handbook doesn't seem clear on actually removing the key cover to change the batteries. Does the cover just prize up with (for instance) the tip of a penknife inserted in the two oblong corner slots? It feels tight and I don't want to break any lugs off.

When new batteries are fitted will I have to go through all that re-programming procedure described in the handbook?

Finally, what is the spec. of the two batteries used?

Many thanks for any responses.

Reply to
Sunday Driver

Er hello, it's me again - I think I've actually discovered the answer to one of my questions. Apparently the transponder in the key does not require a power source - it responds to an electrical field emitted by a transceiver located near the ignition switch, so the car should always start - right?

Reply to
Sunday Driver

yes the batterys inside the remote only power the remote central locking

Reply to
ford_technical_

there are two types of remote fob(utrasonic and infrared) and i dont know which type you've got..

tpye1)a small round piece is praised of the back and 2 very small batterys(1.5volts each) are fited with a thin piece of metal inbetween tpye2)the fob is praised out of the key as one unit and seperated into two pieces where one larger battery(3 volts)is fitted after fitting the batterys yes, you might have to reproggrame the key fob

Reply to
ford_technical_