Remote Fob Batteries Discharging

A couple of weeks ago I replaced the two batteries in the spare fob of our Phase 2 1998 306 ( two buttons)

Now I've come to use it, I find the batteries appear to be dead - I think this may be the second time this has happened - Does anyone have any ideas what's happening?

Could it be that touching the batteries causes damage? I've replaced the batteries in our other cars fobs without this problem, so it doesn't seem that likely - but what do I know?!

Any thoughts would be very welcome

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
newsonline

Your key fob is failing. I have the same problem here and it is getting=20 to the stage where I would be cheaper paying the =A385 for a new one=20 rather than wasting money on batteries.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mason

"> A couple of weeks ago I replaced the two batteries in the spare fob of our

Thanks for the reply Jim. Had a bad feeling it might be the fob going u/s. I wonder if it's worth trying ebay and then paying Peugeot for a re-code. Any thoughts on that?

TIA

Steve

Reply to
newsonline

You won't need a recode you do it yourself from inside the car. Check=20 your manual.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mason

You won't need a recode you do it yourself from inside the car. Check your manual.

Jim

Many thanks for your help on this. Much appreciated.

Steve

Reply to
newsonline

Steve. Before you go dashing off to buy a new key fob you might care to hear a similar problem I had a couple of years ago.

I don't know if the key on your 306 is very different to my 406 but my wife's key (second key) discharged shortly after I gave it to her to keep. I got the agent's to replace the two batteries at £6.50 and within two weeks they were flat again.

I accused her of storing it badly in her handbag but after another £6.50 and two weeks further on, they went again!

I decided to investigate inside the key and found that a minute plastic 'pillar' was all that kept the batteries in place and, due to bad handling inserting the batteries, it was floating around like a loose tooth. This was obviously a wonderful design trick on the part of Peugeot because there was no obvious reason why the pillar should not be much stronger.

Very carefully around the outside of the pillar I built a nice little mound of body filler and ordered TEN batteries from

for £6.50 (the price of TWO from the dealer). It now works perfectly and the same two batteries are still going strong two years later!

What fantastic lads they are on Peugeot's design team.

Perhaps your key is different but I hope it may help.

Eric

Reply to
Cire

Many thanks for your reply Eric. Took a look at the fob as you suggested, but sadly it's OK. That said, I've saved your post for future reference.

I've managed to get a s/h replacement, but as it looks newer than our original, it doesn't have the small screw by the key.

Any ideas how I open it up to fit our key blade? Can't see any obvious way and don't want to assume it simply prises apart - just in case !

Thanks again to everyone for your help on this.

Steve

Reply to
newsonline

Hi again Steve

I think it just prises apart :-)

I also managed to get a replacement on ebay for =A318. I have still to=20 receive it but I am hoping it is working.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mason

Hi again Steve

I think it just prises apart :-)

I also managed to get a replacement on ebay for £18. I have still to receive it but I am hoping it is working.

Jim

Thanks for the reply Jim - I'll get prising then :) Glad you managed to get a replacement too and hope both our 'new' fobs work - gotta think +ve - so I'm told.

Best

Steve

Reply to
newsonline

Just when you thought it was safe....I'm really sorry to bother you all again, but I can't seem to program the secondhand remote plip I got. I can always take it back for a refund, but naturally, I'd rather get this thing working.

I followed the instructions in the owners' handbook, but that didn't work. Then I tried various other methods - all different, including these two below, but still no joy.

So the question is: what procedure should I follow to re-program a plip from another car with an IR two button remote so that it'll work with our Phase 2

306 - or do I need to make a donation to a Peugeot Dealer?

I'm lost in plip re-coding hell at the moment, so any help would be very welcome.

TIA

Steve

  1. Turn the Ignition switch to the accessory position using the key without the remote plip attached.

  1. Hold the Plip key close to the central locking receiver mounted in the roof console.

  2. Press the large plip button and then the small plip button on the remote.

  1. Repeat for second Plip key if required.

  2. Turn the ignition OFF.

  1. After 5 seconds the Plip should now operate.

OR

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 10:05:52 +0100, "Deviant Devanti"

Ok Guys So programming a key into a Peugeot is dead easy,

Reply to
newsonline

That `should` work. Are you sure it is an IR version? Is say that because the one I bought off Ebay isn't it is wireless and totally useless for my purposes. Anybody care to swap an IR version for a wireless one? Thought not :-(

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mason

What year is the 306? From about 1998 they went to wireless plips without the red LED, and these need a code from Peugeot. If you are sure yours is an IR type then the first method should work. I would modify it slightly as follows.

  1. Turn the Ignition switch to the accessory position using the key without the remote plip attached.
  2. Hold the Plip key close to the central locking receiver mounted in the roof console.
  3. Press the large plip button on the remote until the light goes out (a couple of seconds).
  4. Repeat for second Plip key if required within 5 seconds.

  1. Turn the ignition OFF.

  2. Open drivers door, close door and try the plip. You may need to keep repeating this a few times especially if you are doing two keys.
Reply to
nigel

Hi

Many thanks for the info - I'll try your variation on the theme as soon as she gets back with car - which is a 1998 Phase 2 cabriolet with (I believe) a IR two button remote. One thing I noticed about the 'new' plip is that it doesn't have the screw that holds the key blade in place - I suppose that if I ever get it to work, I'll need to buy a new key blade from a Peugeot dealer?

Both plips have red LEDs - so am I right in thinking that they're both of the IR variety - and that they should both work? This is driving me nuts :)

Cheers

Steve

Reply to
newsonline

Both the wireless and IR versions have red led's the IR version though=20 will have a clear IR sender (looks like a clear LED) on the shoulder of=20 the fob. Open the keys up to make sure they are they same units inside.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mason

Thanks Jim

Sorry to hear that you got a wireless plip instead of an IR version. Guess what? I'm in the same boat - maybe we need to start a support group...

I'm sure that this thing I've got is a wireless one too - they swore day was night that it was an IR plip - so now the mist surrounding the programming problems finally clears ! Back it goes.

I thought the IR sender lens was an LED light which had stopped working. It's obviously a lens now you've mentioned it.

Many thanks for the help - hope you get yours sorted out. Maybe I'll take a look at ebay and make sure it has the lens.

Steve

Reply to
newsonline

It's actually a normal LED. It just emits infra-red light, instead of visible light :)

Reply to
Nom

Thanks for that - what will they think of next :) I now know more about 306 remotes than I ever imagined I would. Ain't the usenet - and a.a.p in particular an amazing resource?!

Best

Steve

Reply to
newsonline

And to follow up further. I was in at my local Peugeot dealer today enquiring if they had any old but working IR fobs that I could swap for my RF one. They were more than willing to do so but sadly they only had

4 RF ones lying about. They did confirm to me though that the 405 and earlier versions of the 306 only used IR so the EBay seller mis-sold me it on the basis it was the same as the 405 and early 306 key-fobs. I await his reply with interest before I post any feedback to EBay.

They also confirmed that they have to programme the key from a laptop not from inside the car.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mason

The RF version that is!

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mason

Hi,

Of course, as the IR remotes were based on a fully solid-state design (usually around the TEA5500 from Philips - at least for the very first separate remotes), and do these remotes were impossible to program (but could be playing around with a soldering iron).

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T