Where is the bloody SatNav DVD Deck in a new Mondeo?!

Evening All,

This is a pathetic question, I know! I have recently treated myself to a new (2005) Mondeo Ghia X, after the last one gave such good service - 146,000 miles.

This one cost £12,600 from an online auction company called AutoQuake, and so far - everything seems to be good. Except one thing: The Satellite Navigation System! Ford's 'top of the range' SatNav system, with the 7" colour touch-screen, has defeated me totally!

I have the Map DVD, but sticking it in the Head Unit doesn't cause anything to happen. The system prompts "Insert a Map DVD" - yet I have no idea where to put it! If I put the DVD in the head unit, it thinks about it for a while, then spits the disc back at me.

There is a six-disc autochanger in the boot. The Owner's Handbook references the possibility of a separate DVD deck in the same 'boot-mounted console" as the CD changer, yet can I find it? Can I hell!

Anyone, please, who owns a Mondeo with the colour-screen Sat Nav system - please tell me where to stick the damn DVD!

(Polite suggestions only, please!)

NB: I really didn't consider myself a complete plonker, until now!!

TIA

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dempster

Isn't the head the toilet? Why are you sticking the CD in your toilet? Have you checked under the front passenger seat - alot of sat navs are placed there?

Reply to
John Smith

Oh dear. No - only on a BOAT!

This vehicle has WHEELS - I'm fairly certain that it wasn't intended for marine purposes!

Reply to
Alan Dempster

For the Group's information... I found it !

You actually have to remove 4 screws and take off the trim housing for the CD Changer in the boot!

Mother of God!

So there, to behold, was the DVD-ROM deck tucked under the CD Changer... Weird! Why not make the DVD drive more accessible? Also, does anyone know what the latest copy of the MapDisc is? New discs - £180 from Ford... ouch! Mine is 2004 / 05 Europe.

Anyhow, SatNav now up and running - I'm going for a BURN!!!

:o)

Gotta love the 2.2 DuraTorq !!

Cheers

Al

Reply to
Alan Dempster

: : > Isn't the head the toilet? Why are you sticking the CD in your toilet? : : Oh dear. No - only on a BOAT! : : This vehicle has WHEELS - I'm fairly certain that it wasn't intended for : marine purposes!

It's a Mondeo. Best used as an anchor ...

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

It`d rust away before it hit the sea bed :-p

Reply to
Colin Wilson

A friend purchased a 9 month old Ghia diesel for 12K last year and loves it. I hjave to say the Mondeo is the comfiest car I have sat in but my Dad would turn in his grave if I bought a Ford. How are you finding the car - you sound liek a Ford lover now that you are on your second Mondeo?

Glad you found the DVD.

John.

Reply to
John Smith

Hi John,

Well, I've had the car for a few weeks now, and I have to say I'm very impressed. So impressed, in fact, that I have finally put my old Mondy up for auction... Aww :o(

First: the 2.2 TDCi engine is great. The more you press, the more it goes!!! Of course, there is a moment of 'turbo-lag' like any other diesel - but it doesn't take long for the turbo to spin up, and things to start to happen! The 155BHP feels *way* quicker than my old 130BHP (2.0 Zetec) petrol.

Interior wise, very good. Seats are firm and hold you tight round corners, while everything else slides about the interior! Don't get me wrong: I'm actually a very gentle driver; but the thing does encourage you to "hoof it" everywhere. Especially when doing so doesn't cost the earth - when I do get a little excitable, then the fuel economy drops from average 45MPG to around

  1. If I drive it like I stole it, I can just about manage to crash the sub-40mpg barrier. Full tank of diesel = 520 miles.

Externally, seems OK so far. A bit of chrome trim on the driver's door has a tendency to warp in the heat - looks like it might need re-seating.

Best gadget of the lot: has to be the satellite navigation. Now that I've got it working, it really does make a difference!

And yes, I guess I am a Mondeo fan - I find that they're excellent mid-market cars.

HTH

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dempster