2005 Ford Eddie Bauer Expedition

OK, my Key Fob has quit working on my 2005 Ford Eddie Bauer Expedition (5 months old). It was working great this morning then I went out to lunch and it quit working. Anyone got any bright ideas before I run it to the dealer ?

Thanks, Lynn

Reply to
Lynn McGuire

My first thought is a bad battery. However, I have heard of cases where the remote sometimes fail if you are near a strong radio signal (TV or radio station or a radar transmitter).

You can also consult your Owner's Guide. Here are some excerpts:

If there is any potential remote keyless entry problem with your vehicle, ensure ALL remote entry transmitters are brought to the dealership, to aid in troubleshooting.

Replacing the battery

The remote entry transmitter uses one coin type three-volt lithium battery CR2032 or equivalent.

To replace the battery:

  1. Twist a thin coin between the two halves of the remote entry transmitter near the key ring. DO NOT TAKE THE RUBBER COVER AND CIRCUIT BOARD OFF THE FRONT HOUSING OF THE REMOTE ENTRY TRANSMITTER.
  2. Do not wipe off any grease on the battery terminals on the back surface of the circuit board.
  3. Remove the old battery. Note: Please refer to local regulations when disposing of transmitter batteries.
  4. Insert the new battery. Refer to the diagram inside the remote entry transmitter for the correct orientation of the battery. Press the battery down to ensure that the battery is fully seated in the battery housing cavity.
  5. Snap the two halves back together. Note: Replacement of the battery will not cause the remote transmitter to become deprogrammed from your vehicle. The remote transmitter should operate normally after battery replacement.

Replacing lost transmitters

If a remote transmitter has been lost and you would like to remove it from the vehicle's memory, or you would like to purchase additional remote transmitters and have them programmed to your vehicle: . Take all your vehicle's transmitters to your dealer for programming, or . Perform the programming procedure yourself.

Programming remote transmitters

It is necessary to have all (maximum of six - original and/or new) of your remote transmitters available prior to beginning this procedure. If all remote entry transmitters are not present during the programming procedure, the transmitters that are not present during programming will no longer operate the vehicle. Note: Do not press the brake pedal anytime during this sequencing, as doing so will invalidate the procedure.

To program the transmitters yourself: . Unlock all doors using the power door lock/unlock control. Insert a key and turn the ignition from the 1 (OFF/LOCK) to the 3 (ON) position and cycle between 1 (OFF/LOCK) and 3 (ON) eight times in rapid succession (within 10 seconds) with the eighth turn ending in the 3 (ON) position. The locks will cycle to confirm that the programming mode has been entered. . Within 20 seconds, program a remote transmitter by pressing any button on a transmitter. The locks will cycle once to confirm that the remote transmitter has been programmed. (If more than 20 seconds pass before pressing a remote transmitter button, the programming mode will exit and the procedure will have to be repeated.) . Repeat the previous step to program additional remote transmitters. The locks will cycle once to confirm that each remote transmitter has been programmed. . When you have completed programming the remote transmitters, turn the ignition to the 1 (OFF/LOCK) position or wait 20 seconds. Again the doors will lock/unlock to confirm programming has been completed.

I suggest that you join the Expedition Owner's Mailing List. See

. Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

remote sometimes fail if you are near a strong radio

Weird. I went home and tried my other key fob. It worked fine. Then I tried my daily carry key fob. It now worked fine. I am perplexed.

Thanks, Lynn

Reply to
Lynn McGuire

I say it could have been due to radio interference from another source. The FOB transmits a code to the vehicle. If the code is garbled, the vehicle won't recognize it. There was a discussion among members of the Expedition Owner's List about this sometime back. I've never had it happen to me, but I can see how it could happen.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Just a side note. A couple of years ago, it was in the local papers, near the City of Bremerton, WA home of a Naval Shipyard many vehicle remotes didn't work including mine. We thought it had something to do with a particular ships arrival. This was further re-enforced when the ship left, problems left with it, and reappeared when the ship came back. I had to put my key fob against the extended on glass antenna to open the car. Of course the Navy denied they had anything operating that could cause this problem.

Reply to
I. Care