Ford...Scrap and Complete Junk

I've driven a Focus ZX (ST equiv.) (IIRC) estate. Admittedly US spec, but it was 'harsh'. I'd been tooling around in a Chrysler 300M for the previous fortnight and was reluctant to give up a FWD, 255bhp 'luxury midsize sedan' for a test in my gf's uncle's Focus, of which he was immensely proud.

The Chrysler is an LH platform, which owes a lot to the Renault 25 amazingly, and in a slalom test from Car & Driver was actually quicker than an Audi A6 Quattro, and has more power than the US-market BMW M3. It's also very deceptive, as it looks like the ultimately retirement mobile.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Wonder if the sports models in the US subscribe to the American sports car theory of an ultra stiff ride.

The UK Zetec is a lovely compromise. It's firm and has hardly any roll, but soaks up most bumps really nicely. Best handling/ride compromise since the 306 IMHO

Dan

Reply to
Dan Post

Focus ZX (3?) has suspension similar to the UK LX the St equiv (SVT) has suspension similar to the zetec, the Euro ST has much stiffer suspension, and the RS much stiffer again, the RS is the best Motorway car I have travelled in (caveat, only over 120mph :-) ) and is the only focus that could be described as "harsh".

The American focaii conform to the stereotype of "plush" and interestingly there was an expensive dealer fit option, called the "Euro" pack, and was the equivalent of having zetec suspension fitted.

Reply to
Andrew Jewitt