Ford V6 Engine Numbers

Hi All.

Can anyone give me some info on the letters used on a 1983 ford sierra xr4i v6 cologone car? The number begins

"DY"

First thought was it was made in dagenham (but they dont do engines) Second thought was it stood for Daytona (but a total guess)

Any ideas anyone??

Thanks

John

snipped-for-privacy@channel19.demon.co.uk (email address will work)

Reply to
mehere

In news:bv68r1$oed$1$ snipped-for-privacy@news.demon.co.uk, mehere decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Is it just the engine code you want to unlock?

your local parts department geezer in the main agents should be able to do that, no problem.

Reply to
Pete M

with

It may be the year and month of manufacture. The two letters before the last group of numbers in a ford VIN refer to this and , although I've only got them from '86, D would appear to be June 1983 on counting back. *caveat* That's if the same principle applies to engine Nos and that I've counted back correctly.

HTH

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Surely these are called Cologne engines because they are made in Cologne!!! (Germany!)....not Dagenham or Daytona etc etc I have a Scorpio with this engine.....the rest of the car was also made in Germany (unfortunately)

Jamie

xr4i v6 cologone car? The number begins

Reply to
<the

It doesn't work like that. Ford name their engines after places, or did.

My Cargo has a Dover engine. The escort engine from Mk 2 onwards is a Kent engine.I don't think they have an engine factory in Dover or Kent, although I stand to be corrected.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

In news:bv7shr$1vj$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk, shazzbat decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Dover, Kent, Valencia, Essex, Cologne.. How strange the new Jag motors aren't called "Halewood", or "Scouse"..

In fact, I think Dervy should move to "Endura" sharpish.

Reply to
Pete M