freelander misfire

Hi all, recently posted about misfiring freelander. Got it checked out at lr today. all ok on the hg front but got a rather puzzled look from the tech that hooked it up for diagnosis. it appears the o-ring in between throttle housing and inlet manifiold was missing!! charged £60 for the hour! would an o-ring really cause all this hassle?

Reply to
chunkybear via CarKB.com

"chunkybear via CarKB.com" wrote in news:734e5adfac1f0@uwe:

If it was letting in air, it certainly would.

Reply to
Stuart G Gray

Plastic inlet manifold, and plastic throttle housing. he said that plastic on plastic would never be air-tight hence the o-ring. I had my part to play as well. I changed the plugs and gapped them to 0.85 as land rover owners book. but he said he'd regapped them to 1.0mm did they change it or summat.

Reply to
chunkybear via CarKB.com

I did mention the inlet manifold gaskets / o rings in my first post!!

tim..

Reply to
Tim..

still palying up though when u take foot off the gas the revs dont drop

Reply to
chunkybear via CarKB.com

Give the ECU more time to relearn its adaptive settings (a battery disconnect may speed the process) as it will still be thinking the gasket is gone..

If it gets no better, have the TPS checked for high voltage at closed throttle (assuming the throttle cable is allowing the throttle to completely closed- this was another recall item!!)

Tim. .

Reply to
Tim..

Its settled down a bit now. still idling like sh.t. gone back to same as before. its been compression tested and the head gasket is also fine. also had inlet manifold gasket changed. sounds like air getting in somewhere checked all the hoses/pipes and all seem ok. sounds fine when cold, exhaust starts spluttering when warm (more noticable at exhaust tail pipe.) also goes ok when under load or at revs. any ideas....?

Reply to
chunkybear via CarKB.com

go round it all with a spray can of carb cleaner, spray every possible leak area with the engine running, if it changes the idle you may have found a leak.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Will give this a go, let you know how it goes... a friend of mine came round last night to have a look. seems to think the exhaust might be partially blocked, probably the cat end. He fitted two new sensors while he was at it (crank sensor and intake air temp sensor). He reckoned these are prone to playing up on this engine. (parts free works at LR).

Reply to
chunkybear via CarKB.com

A blocked /restricted exhaust will normally allow the engine to start and run normally at smaller throttle openings, as gas output is less than the restriction.

Power will tail off (or not increase) with a wider throttle opening under load- especially in the higher gears. If the restriction is large then I have known bucking and spluttering under throttle, but the engine will again rev freely with a smaller throttle.

Revving in neutral is generally fine.

If the car has secondary air injection or pulse air system, I've known the pipes to be blown off...

From your description, your problem doesnt sound like a blocked exhaust...

Tim. .

Reply to
Tim..

Had exhaust checked today, everything fine but lots of water/condensation. Looking more like liner or h/gasket. only thing being, i havent been losing coolant or not that ive noticed.

Reply to
chunkybear via CarKB.com

The K series only contains about 3.5 - 4litres of water -i.e.very little- you will soon notice the header tank dropping if you have a even a small leak (as long as its not being replaced with oil!)

Sounds like your garage is fairly incompetant and / or knows nothing about the infamous K series. Could be time to find another or at least explain to them your patience is running low..

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

yup getting pretty fed up now. i personally think its condensation. its been running for last month or so with no loss of coolant, apart from it being drained to replace inlet gasket. problem only comes about when the engine is warm. so could be heat related??

Reply to
chunkybear via CarKB.com