From another group.

Thought this might give a smile on a grey morning...

My beloved E39 is no more ! > > It was with the dealer this morning to have a hose changed on the rad, > just looked old and perished. > > HE has just called to say that there is a problem - apparently the car > started itself, in gear, drove across the yard and went on fire ??? > > It looks as if the fire started below the pollen filter on the right > hand side as you look rearward from the nose of the car. > > I really have never heard of anything like this on an E39 before and > there has never been any electrical problems/faults/modifications with > the car.

Dealers, eh?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) ( snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Yeh, right...

Reply to
Adrian

Roughly translated Using Bablefish (Bullshit to English) ---->

Our 17 year old parking/cleaning boy has accidentally crashed your bimmer into a lamppost in our carpark whilst teaching himself how to do doughnuts properly. The car hit the post so hard it caught fire (and he dropped his joint into the shagpile).

We are going to make up some pathetic story about a car starting itself in gear, despite the fact that these cars have an inhibitor switch stopping them from being started whilst left in drive or reverse, the car also managed to override it's immobiliser and ignition switch all by itself.

What a load of bullshit, yours *truly* (yea right)

The Worst garage in the world....(ever)

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Jesus... I trust you've advised them to do the dealer up the wrong 'un, without any Vaseline.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Hmmm, in fairness, I have actually witnessed a car starting up all by iteslf with an electrical fault.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

My desktop bulls**t meter just exploded. Please let us all know which dealer this is so we can avoid it until after the Second Coming is done with.

Reply to
Chris Street

That would be more than one electrical fault, though, Andy? And then there's the question of the car selecting drive and releasing the handbrake...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Without know all the facts, it's hard to comment really, all I'm saying is, don't elliminate that it is impossible. I have also seen a car jump into drive and take itself through our workshop too.

Maybe it's because I do work at a main dealer, but I do get pissed off with seeing people taking every opportunity to rubbish them. Accidents happen, and this kind of thing can happen to anyone, dealer or not. OK, the excuse may be crap, if it is an excuse.

With a lot of modern cars being controlled by a single master computer now, it is certainly not inconceivable that this might happen. You could certainly have a major electrical fault that would start the engine up, and if it has an electronic gearbox it could also be set to drive. Indeed, had the main control box shorted and started to catch fire, it is quite possible that multiple circuits would have been affected. The fire could have been the trigger for the rest of it.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

I'll go along with that. I have seen vehicles start themselves in the middle of the night. In fact it is not really uncommon, as I have heard of several others and know of several vehicles that have caught fire unattended and secure with the ignition switch certainly off.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

The old Honda Melody scooters would start if you pulled apart a connector block (!)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Thanks Huw. Indeed, many modern handbrakes are pretty crap now too, so moving along is also possible.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Did the vicar walk in just as this happened?

Reply to
Carl Bowman

: > HE has just called to say that there is a problem - apparently the car : > started itself, in gear, drove across the yard and went on fire ???

A problem indeed, but not the owner's ...

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston