Frontera pick-up - load-sensing valve.

A friend, Fred, was flagged down by Plod yesterday (they were stopping everything) and directed over to a lay-by where there were some MoT people. There one of them cast an eye over the Frontera pick-up he was driving. The guy said that the load-sensing valve wasn't operating (sticking?) and put a prohibition notice on the motor, allowing him to drive it home but requiring that he get it MoT tested within 14 days - or else! Fred is a retired motor mechanic so knows a bit about these things and has the Haynes manual for this truck. He spent quite a time reading the manual and underneath the truck and is adamant that there's nothing wrong. The truck was last MoT tested about 3 weeks ago (when it passed), and he is unhappy about being told to spend money (money he hasn't got!) getting it tested again. The truck was totally unladen at the time, and Fred reckons it isn't possible to say that this valve isn't working without putting it on a rolling road or, at least, jacking the truck up - neither of which were done. He thinks a 3-week old examination where all the proper equipment was available and was used is likely to be more accurate than this guy's cursory roadside look. All comments will be much appreciated.

Reply to
DB.

Sees unlikely to be something you can spot by looking to me,although I'm no expert.

Maybe his rears locked up when he pulled in, giving them a clue?

Don't lots of exhaust places do a 'free brake check' that he could use to get it looked at? Or do they only cover disks/pads and stuff?

Reply to
PCPaul

A prohibition notice would have meant that he could not drive the vehicle at all, it sounds as though he has been given a defect rectification notice, which is checked by getting it stamped by an MoT garage, there is usually only a relatively minor fee for this.

the Mot only checks that the brakes work to a minimum standard, it does not check the operation of the valve. The only way you could feasibly check it yourself with the aid of MoT brake rollers would be to test it with and without a load and compare the figures, obviously there should be more brake effort available with a load.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

It wasn't an MOT tester but a VOSA examiner. VOSA examine to C&U regulations which include stuff not testable in an MOT.

I will guarantee that the VOSA inspector is more right than an MOT examiner. VOSA inspectors do it to the letter and are the people who ensure the MOT testers do testing to an acceptable standard.

Reply to
Conor

I agree Mr C, if you are given a prohibition notice you are not allowed to drive away or suspend tow the vehicle it has to be removed with a flatbed truck.

we do check the operation of load sensing valve during a test, with an assisistant depressing the brake pedal down whilst the engine is running you can see the valve linkage move.

reason for rejection (rfr)

  1. Load sensing valve with seized or defective linkage or obviously incorrectly adjusted.
Reply to
reg

I take it back, they can issue a post dated prohibition, some details here:

Mrcheerful

However, that doesn't actually check that it varies the brake operation:) it could just have an empty valve housing with a correctly moving arm and still pass.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

The police can also issue Vehicle Defect Rectification Notices; these normally have to be addressed within 14 days, in a similar manner to VOSA's Prohibition Notices, so perhaps this is what the OP's friend has been issued with?

They also have more authority than the police to stop your vehicle for a spot check, surprisingly.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan