Setting up a vans rear brake compensator?

The rear brake compensator valve on my Escort van has failed the MOT, so if I can get a new one today, I'll be fitting it over the weekend. The MOT tester told me to make sure it is set-up correctly when fitted - by this I assumed he meant there was adjustment for back to front, or maybe right or left rear brake adjustment.

Any things I should look out for when fitting this, and any tips I may need?

Thanks Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

why dont you ask the garage to set it they are likey to have all the equipment

Reply to
steve robinson

IIRC there is an adjuster on there to allow you to set the amount of brake fluid allowed through the compensator - it's front to back balance, not left to right. I'd just set it up so that it didn't lock the rear wheels before the front, and check it laden and unladen. If it's well out, the MOT tester will flag it up, if I can remember the rules properly. There's an online MOT testers manual somewhere. MOT UK the site is called.

Fuck off you flap.

Reply to
Doki

It's here:

I can only see reference to checking the compensator is present, the linkage is not seized or defective, or "obviously incorrectly adjusted". How that last part is interpreted is anyone's guess.

Steady! :-)

Usually no special equipment is needed. Asking the testing station to do it should guarantee a pass though, and may be worth it if unsure of the procedure. It seems clear enough in Mr Hayne's invaluable tome however.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Trolling IMO. Quite a few posts with that sort of tone and s**te English keep popping up.

Reply to
Doki

You're probably right. Have you had a look at the website (I use the term loosely) that forms his email address?

Your helpful reply to the OP contrasted so sharply with your comment to "steve" that it made me laugh!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

and they are only likely to charge you £20.00 , cost you that much if it fails again

Reply to
steve robinson

The website was created several years ago , its in the process of being changed , however my point was valid for the sake of £20.00 on the bill the garage will redo the mot and set up the compensator correctly instead of taking pot luck and the price of another retest

Reply to
steve robinson