Fuel saving waste of money then???

My Tiscali home page has this advert:-

is a waste of money like all the other devices then is it??? If not,should I get one???? Discuss.Ecotek - Improve fuel economy by up to 15% CLICK OR CALL 0870 7200 868 TO ORDER. Increase the performance of your vehicle and Improve Fuel Economy by up to

15%

Yours for only £44.99 (normal price £48.99)

Feel the difference with this amazing revolutionary award winning fuel saver! Increases performance, lowers emissions and provides better fuel economy all in one compact maintenance-free device!

Using Formula One technology, the fuel saver creates a swirl of air which helps to burn petrol more efficiently. It produces lower emissions, and improvements of up to 15% in fuel economy and a chrisper, more responsive drive. Simple to fit and a cost effective answer to ever increasing petrol prices.

This device is a practical, low cost device designed to benefit the vast majority of petrol engined cars and provide immediate benefits. Comes complete with full instructions, a helpline number and full 2 year unconditional guarantee. So purchase your Ecotek CB-26P now and increase the performance of your car and save money on expensive fuel costs for just £44.99 including UK mainland p&p (normally selling for £48.99).

"Countless widgets claiming to save fuel have come and gone through the years, but here's one that really works." Driving, The Sunday Times 2003.

Can be fitted by a competent amateur mechanic in approximately fifteen minutes or alternatively can be fitted by a Garage for around £20.

You will only need one fuel saving device for all cars with up to 2.6 litre engines but will need two for engines above 2.6 litres. For use with petrol engines only.

Reply to
Ivor Problem

In a word.... "CRAP"

Reply to
JK

Complete and utter bollocks. Don't waste your money.

Robert

Reply to
Robert R News

Ivor Problem raved thus:

:: My Tiscali home page has this advert:- ::

This is a waste of money like all the other devices then is it??? Probably snake oil. Where does it go, in the fuel line? Wonder how it creates the 'swirl of air'? It looks like the end of a Maglite stuck to a T-piece.

Reply to
¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤

Given that Formula One engines are made by the major car makers or their associates, you'd think if this was true they'd incorporate it in their own road engines, given just how important fuel consumption and emissions are for new car sales? And own the patent?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Go to QVC and get one of these:

If it works - great - keep it and enjoy the savings. If you install it and you find out it's a load of bollocks, return it to QVC within 30 days and get a full refund, no questions asked.

Their returns policy is listed here.

The returns policy is great and very handy sometimes ;-)

Reply to
John

I thought it was cr*p, I wonder how many mugs will either buy it and fit it or buy it and not even fit it!!!!

Reply to
Ivor Problem

I'd be prepared to bet that any F1 swirl-creating technology that may exist would not be closely related to this item.

The only place that turbulence would benefit the combustion process is inside the combustion chamber, and engine designers have already done

50 years of work on this. The swirl and squish that goes on inside the cylinder should be pretty well unaffected by conditions outside the cylinder. The swirl is imparted as the charge enters the chamber, and the squish is a function of the rising piston crown.

The process, in its minutiae, is complex, and involves liberating and dispersing the fuel molecules around the air charge as it is inducted, and later (maybe 1/100th of a second later) helping to make sure the spreading flame front is kept under control, but at the same time is fully exploited.

Call me an old cynic (others have), but I doubt this device will be making much contribution to the Kyoto Protocol.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrav

It's pure bullshit. The advert isn't placed by Ecotek but "JEM Marketing" and Ecotek will probably claim that it wasn't authorised.

They refuse to answer why they don't offer PROOF that the "swirl" is producing the performance benefits and can only offer reviews and unscientificlly performed dyno tests.

I haven't seen any SCIENTIFIC (ie. double-blind bench tested) proof that it works.

They claim it was tested by DTI Warren Springs but the test was performed (IIRC) TWELVE years ago on a different product on 100k+ Cavaliers by the same tester that positively validated the Ecoflow magnetic fuel saver!! From memory, the tests also only covered emissions and didn't test fuel economy or performance.

Gareth

Reply to
Gareth A.

I read the patent for this and its a joke. Avoid.

Reply to
Ed

It's garbage, if it were possible to improve the fuel economy by anywhere near that much, every car out there would come with one to begin with, good fuel economy is a great advertising point.

Reply to
James Sweet

In news:buk99o$isf3j$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-13002.news.uni-berlin.de, Ivor Problem decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Oooh, I'll have two then.

Reply to
Pete M

Yep.

Nope.

I tried one. It did nothing whatsoever. The science behind it, says it does nothing whatsoever. They do nothing whatsoever.

The end :)

Reply to
Nom

It's been discussed to death already, repeatedly. Go and search Google archives, look under "s**te" and you should find it.

Reply to
Lordy

Best way to save fuel is get off ones ass and walk. 8-()

Smeghead.

Reply to
Smeghead

But be sure to exlucle the words "rover" "600" and "ti" ;)

-- Chet

Chet

For technical information on this from an industry professional (OK, me!) visit:

and follow the various links for specific data on the Ecotek.

But yes, it's snake oil. The fact that the patent says it works in one way, but the Ecotek website denies that and say it works in a totally different way, is a little suspicious, to put it mildly!

OK, you could buy one and then send it back if it didn't work. But by the time you've got it, fitted it and let things settle down, you'll have very little time left to decide if it provides a benefit. And since fuel consumption varies so much from tank to tank, you need at least a dozen fill-ups before you have enough statistical data to see what (if any) the improvement is.

Tony

(replace "nospam" with "fuel" to reply)

Reply to
Tony Cains

I wonder if the Ecotek forum is still going? I had a great time when I returned one for a refund after I discovered it didn't do anything beneficial, and dared to say so!

Reply to
Mark W

And the phrase "built in France" too.

/me blobs tongue out :)

Reply to
Lordy

In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Only useful if you like the sound of a dck farting. I can re-create that for free from the vacuum canister in my Saab 900 with a very slight leak in the vacuum controller vant switching.

That doesn't improve fuel economy either.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo