Gear problem for a Volvo440

I have an old Volvo 440. Goes well for its age, but recently , on th

odd ocassion, I have been having trouble engaging the 2nd gear. I a not all that knowledgeable . Would I need to get a new gear box whic will be very expensive or could it be something that could be fixed. would appreciate any help. Thanks maxwell60

-- maxwell605

Reply to
maxwell605

If the clutch is adjusted OK and there's plenty of oil in it, it's=20 likely to be a worn 2nd gear synchromesh. A new gearbox costs more than=20 the car is worth and you'll be looking at around =A3100-=A3200 for a second= =20 hand one including fitting.

--=20 Conor

I'm really a nice guy. If I had friends, they would tell you.

Earn commission on online purchases, =A32.50 just for signing up:

Conor

I really do appreciate your reply and many thanks . You are right th car isn't worth that much but then I only do 2000 - 3000 miles a year so I might soldier on for a little while more till things get reall bad. But its nice to know what's going on.

Thanks again Conor, you have been most helpful and hey ! you are a nic guy, I agree.

maxwell60

-- maxwell605

Reply to
maxwell605