Getting Rain-X/Fog-X off a screen?

I've got the nasty suspicion that the previous owner of my CRX coated the inside of all windows with these nasty chemicals. Unfortunately (if it was Fog-X) it doesn't quite work and actually makes clearing the screen a lot harder than necessary, plus it fogs up even more readily.

At first I thought it was some silicon film from all the stuff he used to clean/"beautify" the interior plastic but that normally comes off with the cleaners I use...

Anyway, so far I've used normal (domestic) window cleaner and Halfords cream cleaner (the one you let dry on the screen and then buff). The Halfrauds cleaner normally cuts through pretty much all the crap that ends up on screen but in this case it didn't even dry - it formed small droplets on the coating :(.

Anyway, I *have* to get this crap off as it's seriously affecting my ability to look out of the windows.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Toothpaste

or vinegar and newspaper.

Reply to
SteveH

Timo Geusch ( snipped-for-privacy@unixconsult.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

You've got glass cover on the insurance, right?

Bloody kids round your area...

Reply to
Adrian

Well, they've already broken one mirror...

That said, I'd rather not have any glass replaced as the current one seems to be mostly watertight :)

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Doh. Should've thought of that - after all, you use this to clean off the coating on dive masks, for example.

Shouldn't have chucked away the wine last night :)

Reply to
Timo Geusch

rain x make a foaming cleaner, try that.

Reply to
mrcheerful

I'd try something really high in alcohol.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Makes it hard to focus on cleaning the screen, though.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Have you tried vinigar in water or if you can get it a small ammount of=20 Ammonia (maybe liquid bleach) in water?

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Muse-Map of the Problematiqu=E9

Reply to
Elder

Autoglym do a decent interior glass polish. And the Rain-X glass polish seems to take off pretty much anything

Reply to
Abo

Meths? It's cleaned up the outside of windows that some dipstick used Wash'N'Wax on....

Cheers

Reply to
James Dore

Neat screenwash on kitchen roll or panel wipe.

Reply to
mrdoki

You suggest using Rain-X to remove Rain-X?

Reply to
David Taylor

ITYF he is suggesting using Rain-X *glass polish* to remove a different Rain-X product.

Sounds a reasonable suggestion to me...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Quick update - I've tried SteveH's suggestion regarding the toothpaste this morning but this mostly left the car minty-fresh and made barely any impression on the crap covering the windscreen.

However after a bit off googleing around in the lunch hour it turns out that Autoglym's Intensive Tar Remover is supposed to shift pretty much anything, including silicone.

As I had a bottle of that nasty stuff in the garage I gave it a try on to spots on the windscreen and it appears to have work fairly well. I'll see tomorrow if that's indeed the case and if it is, I need to do all windows with that stuff...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Panel wipe or neat screenwash on a paper towel.

Reply to
Doki

Ah, sorry, missed that.

Hmm. Unless Rain-X realised that noone could get Rain-X off their glass, so found some really cheap substance that removed it, then started selling it as "glass polish" for a 500% markup...

There's probably something cheaper :)

Reply to
David Taylor

But it does stop you caring about it.