Rain X washer fluid

Just wondered if anyone has run into trouble with RainX.

I've heard that RainX will clog the windshield washers on some cars. Clog up the washer jets, or maybe clogging the pump.

Anyway, I have one car that I've been using RainX in for a couple of years, and the washer IS getting weak. And a friend's car is also showing a weak washer system.

So... Anyone else experiencing this? And if it is RainX at fault, and not just dirt or contamination, is there a way to clean it out? I'm wondering, if it's a waxy buildup, would just running HOT water through the system clean out any wax deposit?

Reply to
Mike Y

I have used RainX on my truck and my car. I use RainX on the rear window and the side windows, I use it on the windshield on my Harley. I NEVER USE IT ON THE WINDSHIELD OF MY VEHICLES. It will mess up your wipers and the windshield. With the Florida sun it will cause an oxidation on the glass (a purple haze) and it is a bitch to get off. I had to use a rubbing compound to get it off the glass.

Reply to
Old Harley Rider

I doubt hot water would do it. Have you ever tried removing the liquid fabric softener buildup in a washing machine? You have to scrape it off.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I'm under the impression RainX washer fluid is just mostly wax in suspension. I know it can come off with certain dish detergents. Maybe I'll have to make up a bucket of Palmolive in hot water and pump that through to try to clean it out.

Reply to
Mike Y

I notice a general issue in that the nozzles tend to accumulate deposits of some sort over time. A very fine wire can be used to clean them out. This seems to happen regardless of the wiper fluid used.

I have used RainX, although not consistently, in the several vehicles we have and others we owned over the years. We have not experienced failures of pumps.

Ken

Reply to
KWS

RainX, and RainX washer fluid, contains a polymer that is not good for ones windshield. RainX should only be used on side windows

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Reply to
iluv my kitties and family

Nu-Finish is great stuff to use on your headlamp covers, it will keep them from clouding and restore headlamp covers that have become clouded. However Nu-Finish is a polymer, like RainX, so it will build on the windshield. RainX and Nu-Finish are best reserved for side glass.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Reply to
iluv my kitties and family

My response was to the subject of Nu-finish and RainX, not RainX Washer Fluid, or to any particular posters remarks.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Been using it in my vehicles for about a year, no issues. Even with normal washer fluid. it helps to take a rag soaked with steaming hot water and clean off the nozzles every now and then.

I used to use the liquid on the windshield every few months. Until I tried the washer fluid. I still use the liquid on my motorcycle helmet. Everything just beads up and rolls off.

Love the stuff, especially in the winter. :-)

Reply to
this old man

I used the Rain X washer fluid starting in December. The sprayer from my washer pump got weaker and weaker and finally stopped pumping altogether. I had to get the washer pump replaced. I'm getting rid of the Rain X and going back to the cheap stuff.

Reply to
Interstate

Why? What evidence do you have that Rain X had anything to do with the pump failure?

Reply to
dr_jeff

Reply to
djc365

Yes! Customer service advised me to add 1 bottle rubbing alcohol to equal p arts hot water but the reservoir is full. Problem #1. I'm 85 years old and would have to pay to have it done professionally so I live without it. Rain X should have a warning label on the bottle!

Reply to
djc365

This orange rain-x I?ve been using for over 3 years now just clogged up my passengers side windshield washer jet in my 2017 Chevy Silverado pickup, no pressure and virtually no stream. Drivers side not clogged yet thankfully. Did the 1:1 ratio of hot water and rubbing alcohol fix yours or anybody else?s clogged jets or system? Appreciate any help.

Reply to
fillthisbox

Any luck. Mine just did this, ugh! If so what fixed it?

Reply to
fillthisbox