Rain - X

In a previous thread (Good wipers - Legacy), Rain-X was mentioned. I bought some and applied it today. So far, the results are good. I've have yet to encounter rain, but I can see the difference when just applying washer fluid. The liquid sure beads away quickly.

FYI: Here is how I applied it.

The temperature was about 7C.

I washed the windshield (front and rear) and rinsed well. Three times, each time scrubbing to make sure it was clean. Then I let it dry and got rid of any remaining moisture with a dry cloth.

I put some Rain-X solution on a clean dry cloth. I rubbed in into the window much like one would apply wax. Circular motions, making sure to cover the entire area. I did the front window one half at a time. I let the solution dry and it came up to a slight haze. Then I repeated the application. After it dried again, I wiped off the haze, or perhaps more correctly, rubbed it in, with a clean dry cloth.

I repeated the process for the other half of the front window. I did the entire rear window all at once, but using the same method.

I'll probably do the side outside mirrors and the side windows tomorrow.

:)

Reply to
Dan Langille

IIRC, the TV ads showed a guy tossing a bucket of muddy brown water onto the windshield, and it ran off very quickly. So you could always try that while you wait for rain... :-)

-John O

Reply to
JohnO

"Dan Langille" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

I always liked it, thought it worked well and is especially helpful at night. You might want to put some on the headlights and fogs if you got 'em, helps keep them clean(er) from all the raod backwash

Reply to
John

Dan Langille wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Sounds like you did a really thorough job! My experience with Rain-X is that the less I use the wipers and washer fluid, the longer the Rain-X lasts and the better it works.

Dee

Reply to
Dee

Sounds like you read the directions. I've been using the stuff for years and years. Always works great. Reapply as soon as you notice the beading decreasing.

Reply to
QX

Yeah, I tried to....

I also spoke with the rep who stressed the cleaning.

If the beading decreases, and it's 30 below... I think I'll just have to wait until spring, or until I happen to park in a heated garage.

Reply to
Dan Langille

The problem is that many of these polycarbonate headlamp lenses have a scratch-resistant coating that will probably get degraded if you try to polish it or apply a solvent like the carrier for Rain-X. People who have polished headlamp lenses with plastic cleaner often find that they get a short-term fix, but it gets cloudy rather quickly. Some cars have headlamp wipers.

I do use Rain-X, but typically not on the windshield. I found that Rain-X affected the wiper rubber. I do use it on the side and rear windows, as well as the side mirrors.

Reply to
y_p_w

My headlights have a plastic lens so I didn't try.

I did the side windows today, and the side mirrors. We'll see how that goes....

Reply to
Dan Langille