Glowplug Removal

Gentlemen,

Any suggestions as to how to get the glowplugs out of an alloy head without stripping the treads? I gather they can be problematical. I was thinking about putting several hundred amps through them between the outer threaded part and the surrounding alloy as an alternative to using an induction heater to break the bond, since an IH is useless in this situation. But I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not. Anyway, your tips welcomed.

TIA.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I've always been successful in removing glowplugs

Some advocate spraying WD40 and leaving for a couple of days to soak.

Some advocate going backwards and forwards at the start and when/if it gets tight unscrewing.

Have you got any out? What's the vehicle?

Reply to
Fredxx

I don't have much faith in WD40 as a releasing agent. In fairness to the brand, that was never what it was intended for originally. In fact I have very little faith in releasing agents in general. One can probably do a better job for oneself by mixing IPA with ATF and letting that soak in for several days with repeated re-applications.

It's a 6 pot Beeme circa 2006, dunno the exact model off hand. M57 engined, though - that much I do know.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I don't know the car, but feel access might be good? Many advocate best to remove hot; where the alloy has expanded more than the glowplug.

In the unlikely event you do break one would it still be drivable without too much reassembly? So many designs require removal of things like inlet manifolds. My thought is that there are bespoke tools that can remove the plug in stages and even clear the thread without any crap going into the cylinder. I'm sure a local garage would be able to do the job at a sensible price or a mobile mechanic.

As I've said I have never broken one, though I guess there can still be a first time.

Reply to
Fredxx

WD40 can penetrate but is not a releasing agent.

So follow up with a graphite oil.

Get the engine warm.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Get the engine hot 30mins driving, do not exceed 25Nm on a torque wrench as this will likely shear the plug. Needless to say get a decent fit socket.

Pre-soak with PB-Blaster or AeroKroil, the night before.

Good luck.

Cheers Vin

Reply to
Vin Everett