Golf MkI Carbs

In my ongoing battle to sort my MkI Cabrio, I'm looking at giving in to the _evil_ Pierburg carb. and trying to source a replacement.

Does anyone know which carbs. are interchangable with the pierburg 2B2?

- there's some reconditioned 2E2s on ebay, but any search for a 2B2 turns up nothing.

Expanding on this, are there any other cars which used the same carburettor so I can trawl the breaker's to see what I can find?

Cheers,

Reply to
SteveH

Didn't you ask something about this carb a while back (with pictures?)

I reckon you've got a search on your hands: You might find something under the bonnet of an old golf/jetta/scirrocco/passat/audi 80, but I'll bet there's not that many in breakers these days.

You could try buying a rebuild kit. I used southern carburettors some time ago, and they were very helpful.

Chris Bartram

The 2E3 may work better, but the best bet would be to source a new Webber.

You could put a couple of DCOE's on it!

Or a complete injection system ----->

Nik&Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Thanks, I've emailed them regarding it, but their pricelist shows it's almost the same price as buying a new Weber replacement!

I'm getting increasingly frustrated with this, as I've tried _everything_ so far short of stripping the carb - which I'm thinking of looking at this afternoon.

Reply to
SteveH

Having had a Vauxhall cavalier for ages with the same carb I know what you mean...

The Webber is much much better, cleaner power delivery throughout the rev range, better fuel consumption and no stupid auto choke that doesn't work etc...

But at 250 plus notes it's not a cheap >

Reply to
Nik&Andy

My old golf had one of those carbs. From what you say it might be the waxstat, which costs about £40-£50 from VW. I fixed mine with JB weld - worked a treat!

Anyway, do you want me to try and get hold of the guy I sold the Golf to for £10.50, as he was going to break it?

Reply to
fishman

Aye, would be a useful source of spares for me, cheers.

I have a waxstat here, and a carb. that's nearly in half, but haven't had time to look at it today.

Reply to
SteveH

As it happens, a 2E2 wouldn't have been any good, unless I had the intake manifold to go with it.

It's looking increasingly like a full engine swap could be on the cards

- anyone know which MkII engines will bolt up to a MkI slushomatic box?

- I'm assuming any MkII that was available as an auto would do the job.... current favourite would be a 1.8 Driver lump.

I've been quoted over £200 to refurbish a 2B2 - way too much to splash out. I also have a 1B3 (I think) in the garage, but it's a 3 bolt fitting, so useless to me, apart from for the auto choke and accellerator pump.

Reply to
SteveH

I'd say you're right, but I'm not certain. Don't forget the Scirocco also came with the option of an autobox. MK2 Sciroccos are often cheap these days, and as even the MK2 Scirocco is based on a Golf I floorpan you might find some of the other bits useful too.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Ahhhm yes, good point.

So, it looks like a 1.8 Driver (Which came as an auto, ISTR) or a Scirocco that I need to look for.

Obviously, if I find a rotten Scirocco, the inlet manifold and carb may be enough for me - my engine may only be a 1.5, but it's very sweet, and I'd be a little reluctant to swap it out if I can avoid it.

Reply to
SteveH

i know quite a few vauxhalls (pre 1990) used pieburg carbs.

i think you're best bet would be to go for a brand new weber drect replacement unit. these are obtainable from GSF and cost around 160 quid. IMHO the pieburg is just unnecessarily complex, which is why people have reliability issues with them when they start getting old

Reply to
Nathan Lucas