Golf MKiv Cambelt.

Just bought a nice clean 52 plate golf petrol version with 81k on clock but cant find mention of cambelt change just inspections. At what mileage should they be changed. Can you get at it easily to visually inspect it??

Reply to
Tim

What engine?

Regardless of manufacturer intervals I'd think about changing belts 5-6 years, 60k miles at least. If you say what engine is fitted (preferebly with the 3-letter code- look for a sticker in the boot under the carpet or a sticker on the cambelt cover- someone will be able to tell you the official interval.

The covers on most engines come off without trouble for inspection.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

version with 81k on

Its the 1.6 16V petrol version..

Reply to
Tim

petrol version with 81k on

I'm not sure about official intervals on that, but at 86K and 8 years old I'd change it (them? Some 16V VAG engines have 2 belts).

You might want to ask on

but have a look for that engine code first. If you have the service book with it, that will state the interval, but sometimes the reccomendations change.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

A couple of random thoughts, and I maybe confused so hopefully somebody who knows their stuff can correct me as necessary. I believe its worth getting the water pump changed at the same time, because when the impellor (which is plastic and does not last forever) breaks up it can be as bad as the cambelt going - being as how they are connected. I "heard" VW still use plastic impellors but some of the third party ones don't and are better.

Certainly though, by my liited logic if you don't know the hstory at 86k I would be thinking get it changed sooner rather than later.

Reply to
Angus

there is no official change interval according to autodata, vw say to inspect at 60k, then check every 20k. change the belts (there are 2 on all variations of that engine) plus the waterpump. then you can rest easy as far as that all goes.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Can i get the cambelt cover off somehow to have a look at the state of it? Tried to remove black flat cover with vw logo and 1.6 16V on it but it wont pull off and i cant see any fixings..any idea hoe it comes off? I presime than i can unclip (?) the left hand belt cover and have a look. When you say 2 belts do you mean cam and alternator? Tks

Reply to
Tim

the top part of the cover unclips iirc. there is one belt to the inlet cam, and another from inlet cam to exhaust cam. the alternator belt is easy to change, the cam belts are not, if the alternator belt fails it is not a disaster, if the cam belt fails it is !!

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Pulling the cover off will not tell you much. They look OK till it snaps. Even looking at a broken one its only the break that's clean across or teeth can strip out.

I think the intervals are 60/70,000km and its worth a change,to be sure.

Reply to
Rob

Its on the left hand side oposite the the coolant tank area.

I'd get it/change it now if I was you, even for peace of mind. VW I think state every 4 years or 60k last time i looked.

Reply to
Matthew.Ridges

Be cautious if thats the manual version the gearboxes on those are poorly designed.

sorry :(

Reply to
Matthew.Ridges

It's worth changing the pump forn two reasons: One is the platic impellor, which breaks up and causes overheating. The other is that if it seizes, it will beak/strip the cambelt.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

That's the same as our Lupo then. I had it changed at 40k/7-8 years- I thought that was plenty long enough.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I had mine done after 100k on my focus.. money well spent, it runs so much better now LOL

Reply to
mr p

Then your code is probably BCB.

Same as mine!

Mark

Reply to
Krycek

b series engines are 1.4, but vw do not have bcb

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I'm positive they do, I've ordered stuff for mine from the dealer quoting the code BCB.

Krycek

How strange, I am surprised since autodata do not list a vw bcb engine, but I suppose they could be mistaken.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

My copy does. Volkswagen > Golf (98-06) > 1.6 16V. There are four codes listed:

ATN AUS AXD BCB

Amusingly, I noted the engine code for the 1.6 FSI is BAD. Yep, they are not wrong!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

can I ask what year your autodata is? mine is 2004 and lists the three a's as you have, but not the bcb, if I do an engine number search it does list a couple of b?? but they are 1.4 and still not a bcb. I guess I will have to try to get a more up to date version.

Reply to
Mrcheerful