Discovery V8 Cambelt?

Hi, Spot the newbie! I just bought a 97 V8 Discovery. Am I right in thinking that the V8 does not have a cambelt and therefore none of the TDi cambelt issues?

The vehicle has done 76,000kms. It was a LR approved vehicle until the last ownership change two years ago. Are there any specific maintenance issues I should take care of at this mileage for this engine. I want to look after it properly.

Thanks Pete

Reply to
Pete Dawson

You are correct - the V8 has a chain. At some stage (150,000 kms +) it may be ready for a new chain and tensioner, but you will be fine for a good while yet.

Keep the coolant clean and change the oil frequently (every 6000 kms would be good). Check for oil leaks and get them fixed before they become floods!

Good luck and welcome to the 'poor and frustrated' club....

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

On or around Tue, 28 Oct 2003 09:13:53 +0000, Tim Hobbs enlightened us thusly:

BZZZT.

no tensioner on the V8 timing chain. it's a morse chain and just fits, until it gets slack...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

But at least it gives you a lot more audible warning of failure than a cambelt! :)

Reply to
Exit

On or around Tue, 28 Oct 2003 14:50:19 GMT, "Exit" enlightened us thusly:

hehe. I've never actually heard of one breaking. You'd need to have done

*really* serious milage. I guess the plastic/alloy gear could wear out, but the one that I had which was seriously old still had teeth on it...
Reply to
Austin Shackles

Seen one so badly stretched that it had jumped a couple of teeth, engine was still running but sounding like a disiesel and producing enough smoke to match! Wouldn't idle though! Never heard of one actually break, or the nylon gear fall apart, come to that Badger.

Reply to
Badger

On or around Wed, 29 Oct 2003 17:28:41 -0000, "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

mine wasn't that bad. Got a nice pair of souvenir rocker shafts out of it the other day though...

Reply to
Austin Shackles