VW Cambelt Replacement Interval

When booking in my car for a service the other day I was informed by the dealer that the cambelt should be changed because it's now coming up to four years old (Passat 2.0L petrol with 36K miles on the clock). I found this a little surprising because I didn't expect it to need changing so soon. However, a quick trawl on the web does seem to indicate that VW have now lowered the recommended cambelt change interval to 4 years or

60K (whichever comes sooner). But what I haven't been able to establish with any degree of certainty is whether this problem really just affects the TDI engines or all engine types including petrol engines. Can anyone shed any more light on this?
Reply to
Jeff Allen

all types petrol & diesel, some are 5 years though. we had a customer argue the toss because we said it was due on year rather then mileage, as it had only done less then 25k but was due at 5 years, they choose to ignore us & it broke............oh well, that'll teach them not to listen.

Reply to
reg

Serves them right. Why can't they all be chains.

Reply to
gazzafield

All VAG belted engines are now 4 yrs or 60K. Some of the TDIs (especially the 130PDs) are amongst the worst for wearing belts out apparently.

I.

Reply to
Iain Miller

Glad my V6 4mo has a chain! :-)

Reply to
diy-newby

Yes but, they still fail, though not til around 150k miles plus...

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..