Greasing caliper pins

Is it OK to use moly grease to grease the pins on sliding brake callipers? I have a bit left over that came with a CV boot kit.

Cheers.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Yep.

Reply to
Conor

In message , Chris writes

Copperslip is far superior

Reply to
Terry Birch

I used to use copper grease, but then I heard it was abrasive and should be used as an antiseize agent rather than a lubricant.

Reply to
Chris

The message from "Chris" contains these words:

Quite right. It's entirely inappropriate to use on moving parts. With time the copper powder gets crunched together into larger bits which then interfere with bearing surfaces, clearances etc. OK, so in the sliding bits of a brake caliper it's not really going to be a problem, though I'd not be keen to use it in sealed "pin" type arrangments. Worse is when people use it on clutch release bearings and such like.

Reply to
Guy King

There's no need - just make sure they're clean, not corroded and the seals in good condition.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Right, so thats a "yes, use moly", "no use, copperslip", and "no, don't use anything".

Glad I've cleared that up anyway!

Reply to
Chris

LOL !! I support the keep them clean asnd grease free lobby.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Coleman

Gaaahhhh!!!!!! Now it's 2-2-1.

Wished I'd never asked. :-)

Reply to
Chris

Bad idea they need lubrication as they are subject to constant cyclic movement due to even small amounts of disc run out..

Reply to
AWM

Well I've never done it, as I suspect it just attracts dirt and creates a paste. I've not had any problems in the past.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Coleman

OK, easy answer, go & ask to look at a replacement kit for your car, if they want grease there'll be some mentioned in the instructions & or included. (Vauxhaull Cavalier ones used to get some strange silicone grease as standard). For maximum aggravation the Factory manual for my Audi says grease the rear ones but not the front ones.

Reply to
Duncan Wood