Electric pavement buggies -OT - but this seems the most likely to be helpful newsgroup

My mother is 90 next month and is wisely thinking of giving up her car. I'm thinking about getting her a second hand electric pavement buggy (what IS the correct name for them?). Does anyone have any pointers on what to look for? Do you need insurance? Do the AA or other breakdown companies cover them?

Reply to
Chris Holford

If you do, make sure she doesn't get the accompanying lobotomy, which seems to encourage owners of these things to (a) drive on the road (b) not put any lights on (c) not have any fluorescent markers on and (d) not *even* wear any fluorescent or bright clothes themselves!

garrrhhh!

Foithermore ... why don't the b****y _makers_ of these things make them with the above, not to mention, also, a tall aerial-like appendage with a fluorescent yellow flag at the top?!?!?

The general message I get when I see one of these things (yes, that is the technical term Chris) is "I am a helpless and disadvantaged member of society and if you bump into me - not to say crush me beneath your wheels - you are a careless, unfeeling, dangerous driver." Crikey -- a kid on a mountain bike could knock one of these things over -- and wouldn't be able to see/avoid it even if they were turning the corner at

4mph!

My apologies if I've sent the thread off at a tangent - I been wanting to say that for ages! Aaahhhhhh!

John

Reply to
John

And dont forget ram raiding for a well knowing "Soft drink" lol :-)

Martin

Reply to
Marty1a

Or ram raiding for a knowing soft drink! lol

Martin

Reply to
Marty1a

they are called mobility scooters they come in euther 3 or 4 wheelers (4 wheelers are more stable) and they come in two speed 4mph(max) and 8mph(max) sunrise medical are the most common ones keepable stores are common around the uk, but are not the cheapest but best buys are to be had in papers such as bargain pages i personally would go for a hardley used second hand one and a grand could see you getting a 2.5 - 3grand scooter that has had little use the AA used to do breakdown cover for them but alas no company does anymore. you do not need insurance, but it may be a wise option. personally i would go for a hardly used 4wheel 8mph scooter,

HTH Yoda out

Reply to
Yoda Of Borg

correct term is disability scooter, and its actually illegal to use them on a foot path (although most police and town wardens don't worry too much about it..

there are loads of mobility shops and such like (locally (very oap area) we have 3 to choose from within 3 miles)

again insurance I think is only for the risk of theft. (or another oap hijacking it (yes ive seen it happen)

don't think they need tax as most electric vehicles are exempt..

I believe you can get the aa or equivalent service to cover them, and I KNOW that the RAC cover them under their Disabled persons membership..

HTH

Mark

Reply to
Lostin1999

The message from John contains these words:

Most of 'em have such as an accessory....but most of the users don't like 'em.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "Lostin1999" contains these words:

Or look at ebay...

Home > All Categories > Automotive > Other Vehicles > Disabled Vehicles

Reply to
Guy King

Good point Guy. The bigger ones do fold down, but some of the pieces are quite heavy, and you would not want to do be doing this on a regular basis.

Reply to
Charles Sweeney

Is that Guy the gorilla. of London zoo fame ? :-)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Coleman

The message from Andy Coleman contains these words:

Contemporary, but not the same one.

Reply to
Guy King

It's like a OAP scooter rally at the shops near work, I've never seen so many in one place, most with complimentary dog in the basket. ;-)

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark

But going out, at night, with no lights, on a dark vehicle, wearing dark clothes is just _begging_ to be run over.

Just like the 2 f***wits I saw yesterday. Black clothes. Dark bikes. _NO_ lights, going through a set of temporary traffic lights that were on red.

Someone coming the other way would/could have only seen the bright lights of the car waiting behind the light, and not the idiots.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

The original poster was talking about not wearing bright/fluorescent apparel/markers, and didn't specify a time of day or night. That's a long way from driving/riding with no lights at night.

R.

Reply to
Richard