GSF

GSF are often mentioned here. This is a warning to people to double check that the items they provide for a particular purpose really are suitable.

I bought some transmission oil from them after an email to them to double check that it was suitable. When it arrived, I emailed the manufacturer and was told that it was not the correct product. GSF did not stock their recommended fully synthetic transmission oil.

I also bought some power steering fluid. I entered the make and model of my car to access the fluids - and again on the online order form. Once again I emailed the manufacturer of the item supplied and was again told that it was not the correct product.

I'm glad I double checked.

To their credit GSF they did arrange collection and refund.

Reply to
nigel nailhead

Did you receive a fully synthetic transmission oil?

Was it power steering fluid?

Reply to
gazzafield

no - semi synthetic

Yes I got Febi 06162 - but according to Febi it should have been 06161

Reply to
nigel nailhead

If you go on the Fluids & Sundries section of their website (IIRC, that's what it's called), you get *all* the fluids they well via the website. You can enter VW Golf, and it still suggests Total Oil and LHM as used in Shitroens. You have to order what you actually *WANT*.

Reply to
Doki

OK I didn't realise that, but after clicking on my make and model of car to get there AND fill in make and model when I ordered, it seemed reasonable to get something suitable. IN ADDITION, I emailed them in the case of the transmission oil and received an assurance that it was the correct oil.

Reply to
nigel nailhead

I'm no great fan of some of the GSF's stuff, as the quality can be naff on some parts. But they're more of a trade supplier than a retailer to joe public, and you need to know exactly what you want.

Reply to
Doki

It would be a great help if they'd provide a bit more information. In the case of this gear oil, the ref is SS75/90 and then it says "general use - synthetic base" . . . which sounds as if it could be OK. They don't give a manufacturer so you can look up the code and discover that the SS part means Semi Synthetic and they more or less state that it is synthetic (ie don't point out that it is only semi-synthetic. The code for the oil which that particular manufacturer recomends for this application is FS75/90 - Fully Synthetic - which they don't (or at least didn't) stock . . . so I fear that anyone going to GSF for transmission oil for a VW Passat 2001 is likely to end up with the wrong oil and I'd repeat that for Power Steering fluid.

Reply to
nigel nailhead

They sell a lot more than they list on the website. The giveaway that it doesn't meet VW specs is "General Use". I agree that the website isn't great. ECP is a lot better on that front.

Reply to
Doki

Generally for oils and suchlike i use

as they are dirt cheap for what they supply and the fully synth oils are pretty dam good :o)

Reply to
Will Morrow

Another vote for

- they know their stuff and can recommend oils for custom applications - more than just an online retailer.

Coyoteboy