Heater problems - head gasket implicated?

This concerns the same Jan 1996 BMW 328SE Auto whose ABS problem we're discussing in the other thread.

While they had the car for the ABS scan this morning, I asked them to look at my poor heating. They reported that "...the upper hose was hot but the lower one cool. And there's high pressure throughout, strongly indicating the possibility of a leaking head gasket," or something along those lines.

I'd appreciate advice on the seriousness of this please. It sounds potentially expensive and if so is another factor I need to consider carefully before spending £300 or so to get the ABS fixed. This comes on top of quite high repair and servicing in 2010.

Not an easy decision therefore lies ahead. More repairs now, or withdraw (say) £15 K from savings for a replacement second-hand 3-series (or Merc, or Lexus - I've done zero research so far).

Reply to
Terry Pinnell

Terry Pinnell gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Could suggest that the rad's blocked. Is it overheating? If the rad's blocked, probably due to poor maintenance (failure to regularly change coolant), is the matrix also blocked?

Again, could be blocked rad. EuroCarParts have rads for it for £100-150,

Is it even temp across the surface of the rad?

Any coolant loss? Any mayo on the oil filler cap? Any excess "smoke" (steam) from the exhaust? Have they done a sniffer test of the coolant to test for hydrocarbons?

ABS plus cooling probs on a car worth less than a couple of grand? Personally, I'd be inclined to cut losses and lob it on fleaBay, with MOT and the problems declared. Start it at a quid, no reserve. If it looks good enough, it'll sell well enough.

There are options between "spend a grand on it" and "spunk fifteen on a replacement", y'know...

Reply to
Adrian

Spend a grand on a replacement would be my preferred option.

Reply to
SteveH

It would only effect the heater if the pressure was forcing water out of the system so it is now too low to circulate. And would likely show other symptoms too, if that was the case.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Adrian scribeth thus

Thermostat isn't wedged open is it?. Usual cause of a poor heater..

My olde Audi A6 has quite high pressure in the coolant but then again doesn't loose any ;!..

Depends on what the rest of the cars like...

It seems to me that if you do decide on keeping an older car then you need to seek out a smaller indie car repair outfit. We have one here in Cambridge who can fix most everything thrown their way but don't expect a dolly bird on reception and complementary drinks .. rather that they will tell you where the kettle is and if you want one then we do to and you can make it;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

That's normal

Ah, well there exists this little gadget for detecting exhaust gases in the coolant,it's basically a large syringe & a bottle of detector fluid. If your garage really hasn't got one then they're not that expensive

would wonder why

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Can of fuel, an old rag, patch of waste ground. Could be beneficial to rip out the ignition barrel with a slide hammer and make sure you have all the sets of keys nice and safe and a good alibi.

HTH

Reply to
The Other Mike